Robocop statue in Detroit...What is wrong with people

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
They are trying to get a Robocop statue put up in Detroit after a joke sparked a online campaign.They are comparing it to the Rocky statue,but that had a good story behind(inspiring)not a stupid future robot cop movie.Wow people are stupid it amazes me everyday.If this gets put up I may have to move from Michigan.Check it out they have half the money and a spot picked out.I think its all these quality TV programs making everyone so smart(19 kids and counting/teen mom/Jersey shore/and about twenty others)LOL.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_local..._localdtw/robocop-statue-reaches-funding-goal
Rant over,Victor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muggsy1776

Amazing isn't it? Even from a police officers perspective this is the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. It's only going to end up being a target for every whacko with a gun in the middle of the night.

workinforwood

It might be silly to some of us, but it is 100% privately funded and they have secured all the funds necessary and have had to turn down people wanting to donate to it,according to WJR so it must be pretty darn popular. As long as I am not paying for it, it's ok with me.

DurocShark

It might be silly to some of us, but it is 100% privately funded and they have secured all the funds necessary and have had to turn down people wanting to donate to it,according to WJR so it must be pretty darn popular. As long as I am not paying for it, it's ok with me.

Exactly.

scotirish

I have an idea. Since these people have money (private) to spend why not spend it on some of the children who are starving in the city? Fix some of the roads? Bolster up the police department to help stop the flow of drugs? So many things to fix and so little time. Well that's my 2 cents worth.
Ron

I have an idea. Since these people have money (private) to spend why not spend it on some of the children who are starving in the city? Fix some of the roads? Bolster up the police department to help stop the flow of drugs? So many things to fix and so little time. Well that's my 2 cents worth.
Ron

Well said sir.I think these people donating should feel ashamed of not giving the money to a real cause.Yes honey lets donate to the Robocop statue project rather then donate to a shelter or something that will actually help people.Just sad is what it is to me,and these people are breeding.I'm all for what ever floats your boat as long as you harm no one,but come on folks.Victor

IPD_Mrs

Jeff unfortunately I think Ed (Muggsy1776) will be proven correct. While I agree with you, do what you want with your money not mine, I think that people will get hurt. I could just see some teenage thugs and gang bangers do drive by shooting of the statue. All it takes is one ricochet and someone will get hurt.

Russianwolf

Ron

And when are you going to set the example by giving up your "silly pen turning hobby", as some see it, and giving that money to charity?

There is an 80 foot Steel truss Cross on I-81 that I think is tacky and an eye sore, but it was private money.

LeeR

Hey, be thankful that it is a statue you could have your kids look at. I lived in California for many years, and you can only imagine the kinds of things that go on display as "art" ... :eek:

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I had never about it that way...but you are probably absolutely right...at first your reply brought up a vision that made me chuckle, but then it turned sad...i can just picture some teenager drunk as a skunk standing in front of that statue with a six gun holstered screaming 'draw you pieceofmetaljunk'...and subsequently being arrested..or worse.

Amazing isn't it? Even from a police officers perspective this is the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. It's only going to end up being a target for every whacko with a gun in the middle of the night.

navycop

Next I see San Francisco putting up a statue of Lt. Mike Stone and Inspector Steve Keller (Karl Malden & Michael Douglas) or California putting up CHIPs statue of Ponch and Jon..

keithkarl2007

Would they not be better putting up a statue of a well known local musician, artist or sports player? I mean Robocop! Thats just a fictional character.

No matter what anyone says I think shame should be felt by a donation of no use to anyone at all.Sure do as you please with your money,so I guess being a productive drunk or drug addict is fine if its self funded as well,lol.I'm just going to get myself into quick sand,lol,I have strong opinion and some take that the wrong way.They got the fund raiser done through some web site and had the cash raised fast,I'm going to start the landfill Lumber Log Rescue Program see if I can raise some business capital,lol.Funny,Victor

workinforwood

Jeff unfortunately I think Ed (Muggsy1776) will be proven correct. While I agree with you, do what you want with your money not mine, I think that people will get hurt. I could just see some teenage thugs and gang bangers do drive by shooting of the statue. All it takes is one ricochet and someone will get hurt.

Problem with this theory is it can apply to anything. For decades Detroit has suffered bad economics and bad management and now there is finally a mayor trying to clean it up. A privately funded statue of anything is people trying to have pride in their city. You can't fault that and you can't give up just because something bad could happen or you never get anywhere. Far as people wasting money, well dreams are not a waste of time. Fixing roads is also paid for by these same people as tax payers, and homeless shelters and food banksare paid for by public charity...these same people and many more. The world will never be perfect but as citizens we have rights to chose what's important to us but not the right to chose what should be important to others.

DurocShark

I suspect there will be some tourism dollars coming into the city from a Robocop statue. Not a lot, I"m sure, but the oddness and uniqueness of it would attract some visitors.

designer

The statue does not bother me as much as so many derogatory comments about Detroit. It is not the murder capitol of the world like it was long ago. What folks outside the area (I am in the northern burbs) don't see and hear are the good things that have begun and the seeds of good taking root. Is Detroit crime free? Nope. Is anywhere? Nope. I even go to Detroit again after many decades of avoiding it. No problems. The people in Detroit are picking themselves up now that the last two administrations (Who were connected to each other) are gone. A fresh start and they are working at it.

Hey why not let them have fun at the same time? Everyone needs a laugh.....

toddlajoie

Yea, Robocop would be pretty lame. I'd vote for Dr. Detroit!!!
doctordetroitgal.jpg

ctubbs

As far as making a donation to a shelter, yes, a worthy cause, but it will only feed a few for a short while. Get the city to donate some vacant lots to the shelters. Allow the residents of the shelters to clean up the lots and then plant and raise some of their own food. That will accomplish many things at once. Good healthy food becomes available on a continuing basis, the pride of accomplishing something is presented to the people working, the ones involved learn new skills, they also learn to cooperate for the better good of the community. The list goes on for years down the road, not for a few 'free' meals. Yes, by all means help our brothers and sisters, but at the same time help them to help themselves. Charity makes me feel good, "Hey look what I just did!" What does it do to the recepiant? I have been there. I would much rather have been able to do for myself. I build things. I go back and look at structures I helped to build and have a since of accomplishment. That is good, real good! Give our down trodden the chance to have the same pride. Officially of my soap box for a minute now.
Charles

workinforwood

There's definately interesting symbolism with it. Can represent 2 decades of corruption defeated and michigans goals of renewed growth in manufacturing and diversification in the technology sector. The whole idea is actually growing on me

smoky10

The city of Metropolis Illinois has had a statue of superman for a long time. I don't know if it was paid for with private funds or tax money but my wife and I drove there to see it. We was visiting Paducah Ky. and just had to go see it. It does draw tourist.

Russianwolf

The statue does not bother me as much as so many derogatory comments about Detroit. It is not the murder capitol of the world like it was long ago. What folks outside the area (I am in the northern burbs) don't see and hear are the good things that have begun and the seeds of good taking root. Is Detroit crime free? Nope. Is anywhere? Nope. I even go to Detroit again after many decades of avoiding it. No problems. The people in Detroit are picking themselves up now that the last two administrations (Who were connected to each other) are gone. A fresh start and they are working at it.

Hey why not let them have fun at the same time? Everyone needs a laugh.....

I've noticed that Chrysler is doing a new ad campaign touting "Motor City". I'd love to see a rebirth of Detroit as an American Blue Collar Power like it used to be.

Top Bottom