Robocallers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

So I was down in my shop when the phone rang. It only rang once, which is an indication that it was a robocaller and was intercepted by the NoMoRobo service I use.

A few minutes later, the phone rang again. This time it rang several times indicating that it was likely a real call, and when I answered, it was the doctor confirming my office visit on Monday.

Later, I encountered a problem with my chuck - I had opened it fully to mount a large blank using only two jaws, and the sliders had become unsynchronized. I've done this before, so I know that a little patient fiddling will solve the problem. As I was doing that, the phone rang a third time (really bad timing), and this time it was a real person. But from the background noise, it was obvious that he was calling from a boiler room/call center. And from his accent, it was clear that he wasn't calling from my local town as indicated by caller ID. So this jerk then claims to be calling on behalf of Medicare and asking about my back problem. I don't have a back problem. Instead, I have a problem with robocallers, and I let that dude know about it before hanging on him.

For a while last Spring, my cell phone was reporting a number of 'uncompleted' calls that came in during the middle of the night. Close examination indicated that they originated overseas; the trick they are playing is to call at a point when the call is likely to not be completed, knowing that cell phones capture incomplete calls and make it possible to return the call. They are betting that some of the targets of this scam will return the call without carefully checking to see where it originated - when that happens, the person who returns the call pays the premium international toll for the international call, and the scammer captures a portion of that transaction.

I keep a record of these calls - we average 8-12 of them per week. And in a typical week, we might only get two or three legitimate phone calls. Any time I answer the phone and its a robocaller, I notifiy NoMoRobo so they can add the number to their intercept list. And if I get a series of calls from one number, I add it to the block list for my phone (which, unfortunately, is limited to only 30 numbers). On my cell phone, I have an app that blocks known robocallers, calls from numbers that I choose to block (I can have an unlimited number on that list), any call obviously originating outside the US or a limited selection of other countries, and any call from the exchange associated with our home phone that isn't listed in my personal address book. I also have a second app that blocks all calls from the exchanges associated with my cell phone.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

I also receive these calls 3 and 4 a day from non associated numbers and those associated with my area code and first three numbers. I've found that I created "favorites" from all the contacts I would expect to call me and turned on DnD (Do Not Disturb) with the option to allow favorites through. All non favorites go directly to voice mail, of which none leave any message. Every once in a while someone will leave a message but with visual voice mail I can quickly screen them for the few non favorited callers that I really want to accept.

Seer

I use a voip service called OOMA and pay the premium for the year which gives me 2 numbers to call from it alsop allows me to block numbers and when I do they are added to the list OOMA keeps updating. Best of all I only have to pay the monthly taxes on the service and no land line bills saves me $40 a month just there and can block any number I wish, have my calls forwarded which I can do myself. Mine is on the main hopuse line so every jack is live and I can plug a phone in anywhere in the house to get service. If you want to know more and I am not a spokesman I just love there service and the sound you would never know the difference.

1shootist

Around 65 to 75% of all cell phone calls are reported to be unsolicited robo calls. One man in Florida last year was fined by the FCC for being responsible for 100 million robo calls for only a 3 month period if I remember correctly..and thats just 1 person.

I've been getting probably 7 to 10 calls a week for the past month about my auto warranty expiring..of course I haven't any to expire.

I have come to terms there is not an effective no call list or app, so for calls that do get thru I simply will not answer unless I personally am expecting the number or know the caller. Unfortunately though there are times like this past month and August where I am expecting calls from a few different sources that have numerous numbers so I'm forced to answer every damn time it rings ..I have learned my auto warranty is set to expire.

RProctor

Phone number spoofing is child's play these days.... And the FCC is generally not interested in getting telcos and cell companies to implement proven technology in truly combating it despite lip service otherwise

randyrls

Randy; Yep, The FCC is only interested in helping companies who brib.... er contribute to political campaigns.

I wonder if a class action lawsuit against the telcos for aiding and abetting would get their attention?

Woodchipper

Our phone/internet/TV service has codes that can be entered to block numbers. Unidentified numbers will take up to 48 numbers. Our main phone is in the kitchen plus our TV will show an incoming call. If we don't recognize the number, we don't answer it and delete it along with any VM they leave. The telemarketers are sneaky- they now use local cell number prefixes. Now we do the same as our landline. Best is to let a two year old kid take the call. šŸ˜

Mortalis

My technique works really well.
I get the calls but do not know that they have come unless I check my call history because they go directly to voice mail at which time the caller either hangs up or leaves a message (about 1 out of 10 leave a message). If the call is important then voice mail will capture when they leave a message. If I am expecting a call from an unknown or undisclosed number I tell the potential caller when first communicating that they will need to leave a voice mail as I screen/block calls and I will return the call as soon as I can.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I use a voip service called OOMA and pay the premium for the year which gives me 2 numbers to call from it alsop allows me to block numbers and when I do they are added to the list OOMA keeps updating. Best of all I only have to pay the monthly taxes on the service and no land line bills saves me $40 a month just there and can block any number I wish, have my calls forwarded which I can do myself. Mine is on the main hopuse line so every jack is live and I can plug a phone in anywhere in the house to get service. If you want to know more and I am not a spokesman I just love there service and the sound you would never know the difference.

I also use Ooma. It's one of those services that really is too good to be true.

Cwalker935

We do not answer any calls if we do not recognize the number. We figure they will leave a message if it's important. If I get repeated calls from the same number and no message I will block the number.

If I don't recognize the number I don't answer it. Like others, if it's important they will leave a message. My eldest grand daughter (18 yrs) usually answers the phone and uses the opening line "Great Falls sperm bank". You should hear the person on the other end stumble through that one.

pshrynk

My calls are about reducing my student loan interest. Since I've not had any student loans since 1980, I'm usually pretty certain that they aren't important. I also don't listen when the IRS calls to threaten me, but that's just a personal preference. šŸ˜

RProctor

I also use Ooma. It's one of those services that really is too good to be true.
If I had use for a landline I would go with Ooma. My parents dropped their phone company for it a few years ago and made a 60 dollar bill roughly 4. They don't use the premium service.

Woodchipper

FWIW, again, if it's important, they will leave a voice mail. Then I can listen and delete if not wanted. I'm a hunter education instructor and get calls about my upcoming classes. This is where VM comes into play.

Top Bottom