ROBINIA pseudoacacia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenPal

PenPal

Felled street tree in Canberra a long time ago a mate lucked out on a small piece of burl,whilst visiting him one time he gave me these two scraps. I have saved them. What prompted me to use it tonight was today my dust extractor chucked it in and I noted the warranty for the replacement is three yrs,I will be 90 in three yrs so when I installed the Shop Vac I picked up these blanks I regard as outstanding.The common name is Black Locust Burl,common I understand in the USA. I would love a walking stick of this classy stuff,I use one all the time now as soon as I set foot outside the house. So happy I rang my mate Casey in Melbourne to share with him.

Attachments

• DSCF0354.JPG
    DSCF0354.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

Lovey pen Peter. You continue to make outstanding pieces.
black locust is a weedy, fast growing tree here. I have some that are 30+ feet and only 10 years old. They shoot up off of the roots far away from the main tree.

Dehn0045

Looks like some light spalting too, looks amazing! My understanding is that black locusts are now grown pretty much worldwide on tree farm/plantations. Probably has something to do with their growth rate as noted by @PatrickR . I have a decent collection of black locust pen blanks, none of it spalted though, I may throw a couple of pieces out in the mud and see what happens :p

Lucky2

Looks like some light spalting too, looks amazing! My understanding is that black locusts are now grown pretty much worldwide on tree farm/plantations. Probably has something to do with their growth rate as noted by @PatrickR . I have a decent collection of black locust pen blanks, none of it spalted though, I may throw a couple of pieces out in the mud and see what happens :p
They will get muddy, that's what will happen.

Len

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Lovely finished pen Peter. I suspect your 'stash' would put most of us to shame... At age 61 I do have time to accumulate more, but I already have more blanks than I'll ever use, and Aussie timbers are much more vibrant than Ohio's Hickory, Beech, Ash, Oak and Sycamore. ;)

Kcimdrib

Felled street tree in Canberra a long time ago a mate lucked out on a small piece of burl,whilst visiting him one time he gave me these two scraps. I have saved them. What prompted me to use it tonight was today my dust extractor chucked it in and I noted the warranty for the replacement is three yrs,I will be 90 in three yrs so when I installed the Shop Vac I picked up these blanks I regard as outstanding.The common name is Black Locust Burl,common I understand in the USA. I would love a walking stick of this classy stuff,I use one all the time now as soon as I set foot outside the house. So happy I rang my mate Casey in Melbourne to share with him.
A really great looking Pen fine work.

Top Bottom