Robert Sorby ProEdge sharpening system

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

So I did a search and didn't see anything on this. Does anyone have or have used one of the sharpening systems? It seems to have some great reviews.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikeyt

I have the ProEdge system and really like it. You have to buy the sanding belts in the different grits and changing them is super easy. I sharpen my skews real fast and is great. And the foot print is small and fits nicely on my bench close to my lathe

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

bsshog40

Thanks Mike! I had also heard that the ceramic blades were better than the regular ones that came with it. Have you tried them?

brownsfn2

I have one as well. Works well if you have all the belts. I just do not use my regular turning tools enough to sharpen on it though. So I am still a novice. ;)

bsshog40

Well I'm able to sharpen my tools to a certain extent, but haven't mastered those fingernails yet. By watching the sorby video of sharpening tools, it seems pretty straight forward and does some nice detailed work. Im doing some bowls and finding out that if the tips or sides just ain't right, its easy to catch. I've looked at the most popular jigs but this seems to be easier to get fine edges on any tool. A little pricey, but thinking the sharper and well shaped tool makes work easier and safer. Btw, I meant ceramic belts above, not blades. Lol

JimB

Well I'm able to sharpen my tools to a certain extent, but haven't mastered those fingernails yet. By watching the sorby video of sharpening tools, it seems pretty straight forward and does some nice detailed work. Im doing some bowls and finding out that if the tips or sides just ain't right, its easy to catch. I've looked at the most popular jigs but this seems to be easier to get fine edges on any tool. A little pricey, but thinking the sharper and well shaped tool makes work easier and safer. Btw, I meant ceramic belts above, not blades. Lol

I'm not sure what you mean about the tip and sides being just right. The system won't fix that for you if your profiles are wrong. You determine what your bevel angle is and what shape the wings are. You need to be able to set your jig, no matter what system you use, the same way each time. I use the Wolverine system and I have my jigs so I can duplicate various grinds. It only takes seconds to adjust from one tool to another.

Also, you don't need to spend the $$$ on the Sorby if you want that type of system. One of our local club members wrote an article that was published in the AAW magazine on how to convert the $70 Harbor Freight belt sander into a sharpening system. It will give you the same results. I'll point out he makes his living turning and will be a demonstrator at the AAW Symposium in the summer.

bsshog40

I'm not sure what you mean about the tip and sides being just right. The system won't fix that for you if your profiles are wrong. You determine what your bevel angle is and what shape the wings are. You need to be able to set your jig, no matter what system you use, the same way each time. I use the Wolverine system and I have my jigs so I can duplicate various grinds. It only takes seconds to adjust from one tool to another.

Also, you don't need to spend the $$$ on the Sorby if you want that type of system. One of our local club members wrote an article that was published in the AAW magazine on how to convert the $70 Harbor Freight belt sander into a sharpening system. It will give you the same results. I'll point out he makes his living turning and will be a demonstrator at the AAW Symposium in the summer.

I wish I could find the video that I watched of this system the other night. It was on how to sharpen your tools with the system. When you say that it won't fix profiles, I have to say that the video seemed to make me believe that it does. You set your rest at the desired angle that you want your tool. You then flatted the cutting edge of the flute and the wings. Then put it in the jig, rotate to sharpen and it shapes the tool very nicely. It would lead me to believe that if my cutting edge is a little jagged because I can't get an even sharpen on it, the sorby can fix that. I actually have been looking at the OneWay system for a while also. The only problem I have with that is I have to modify my bench grinder mount to accomodate it. I would also like to see a pic of the modified HF sander. I have one almost like it but I don't see much support for attaching an adjustable jig to the sander. Thanks for the input Jim!

Found the video!
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrE198g9ApcBP0AX0ZXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0NTg2bDUxBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjI5NDRfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw--?p=Sorby+proedge+sharpening+video&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t#id=2&vid=0d33a197766ffe656e61d0e97293d46c&action=view

Last edited:

KenB259

I have the Sorby ProEdge and I couldn't be happier with it. Yes it's pricy, but if you look at all the better sharpening systems, they all are. Some appear to be cheaper, but then you have to buy all kinds of jigs to go with. In the long run, they all end up to be similarly priced. I can achieve sharp tools easily and with repeatability with my ProEdge and I'll never have to buy it again, not much more I can say other than I really have not found any negatives with this system.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

JimB

I watched the video. The process they use to fix a tool is basically the same as you would do regardless of the system you use. If you don't have experience fixing bevels etc then the Sorby is probably a little easier to do it on than a Wolverine and grinder. Sharpening is basically the same as well. Set the system to the tool you are sharpening and sharpen.

Here is a link to the article I mentioned.

http://www.truecreations.biz/files/DIYBeltSharpeningSystem_Dec2012_AAW_Journal.pdf

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against the Sorby system. Several years ago I saw a Sorby representative demonstrate it at Rockler. It seemed like a great system but the price seemed very high to me at the time. I've only ever met one Turner who has it and he seemed to really like it.

bsshog40

Thanks Jim! Now I get the idea of what was done to the belt sander. I was trying to figure out how. Lol I guess all it takes is some imagination and creativity. I'm still kicking things around a bit but wanting something that is basically simple, easy and not take up too much space on my work table. Thanks for posting that pdf.

bsshog40

So I went ahead and bought the Sorby system. I like this setup. I'll post a couple times and show what my tools looked like before and after. I sharpened my Skew as I can never get a decent edge on it. I use it a lot for my pens but it gets tricky when the edges are not straight. The next post will be my spindle gouge.

Attachments

• skew 1 .jpg
    skew 1 .jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 115
  • skew 2.jpg
    skew 2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 120
  • skew 3.jpg
    skew 3.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 113
  • skew 4.jpg
    skew 4.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 125

bsshog40

Now my spindle gouge.It took me about 4 min to sharpen the skew and a few min to straighten up that spindle gouge. I scraped the tip of the skew against a piece of paper and it sliced it. Lol I really like this system.

Attachments

• spindle 1.jpg
    spindle 1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 104
  • spindle 2.jpg
    spindle 2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 123
  • spindle 3.jpg
    spindle 3.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 107
  • spindle 4.jpg
    spindle 4.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 109
  • spindle 5.jpg
    spindle 5.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 121

bsshog40

You'll love it. I think Santa May be bringing me a couple accessories for mine.

I love it already. I bought the deluxe edition, plus the proset and long jig for it. I also bought a couple ceramic belts as I've heard they last longer. One day I may just get the knife jig for it also.

Top Bottom