Rob Sorby deluxe sharpening system

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jokker78

Who has the Rob Sorby deluxe Sharpening System?

Is it worth the money?

How do you like it? I think I am going to pull the trigger and get it.

What else should I get with it ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

I have it, works great on roughing chisels, gouuges, I'm still getting the hang of getting the skew of all things razor sharp.
I need to find a forum that specializes in it. Bought it at Christmas, sharpened up my roughing gouge and detail spindle gouge. Reshaped a skew, that was a bear, lot of material to remove, but have not got the skew perfect.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I don't have it, but from what I have read from a few here or on other sites, it is a very good one.

Worth the money? Depends on how much one has and the kind of tools one uses. If you can afford it, yes. IF you have HSS tools, yes.

What inevitably makes it worth it - is the time needed become accustomed to a new machine and new method. When sharpening for bowl and pens, a quick touch to the belts for sharpening is only as good as how sensitive one is to the "feel," which comes from experience. And then there is the hand honing (a minute or two) that takes a tool to the next level in sharpness.

I read all I could find on the Tormek, a top of the line water wheel. Most people said it was "good enough" to go straight to the bowl for turning, but the best of turners also said that while the Tormek was a top of the line, hand honing made the tools go up to a different level.

Bottom line, don't let a fine sharpening tool be the final step in the sharpening process before using. Most people don't bother with honing, but it does make a difference, and once learned, it is rare that one goes back to not honing.

KenB259

I have one, really like it, BUT I am gravitating more and more to carbide tools so I'm finding I use the Sorby less and less. I haven't figured out how to sharpen oval skews on it, I only have one of those and it's a small pen making size.

Mikeyt

I have it and love it! I use it to sharpen my skews and have been able to reshape some of my skews fast and easy. With the belt charges it makes it easier to hone the tools or change to a heavier belt do more. I sometimes use different brass and aluminum rods and this makes so much easier to remove any burrs. I had a tormek thinking it was as good but just sat on my bench. It would take longer to sharpen or touch up my skew or other tools then it did with the sorby. I ended up giving the tormek to my brother sorby was just easier and faster when turning

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

I don't own one. I went with CBN wheels. But everyone that I know that has one says they love it.

jokker78

I pulled the trigger, 20% off at Rockler plus a few gift cards and it was not to bad. I'm not sure when I might expect to receive it.

WriteON

I pulled the trigger, 20% off at Rockler plus a few gift cards and it was not to bad. I'm not sure when I might expect to receive it.
You will like it. It's tough for skews but you'll figure it out. It's a nice piece of equipment, Very well constructed.

Top Bottom