Roasted Curly Big Leaf Maple/Bloodwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Another from wood supplied by the recipient: Roasted Curly Big Leaf Maple and South American Bloodwood.

IMG_1580.jpg
IMG_1578.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Mark, that looks great. Well done.

However, I do have a question. Lately I have been seeing posts from others with Bloodwood in their pens. All of them look much more brownish than red. I bought a bloodwood board about 15 years ago that was 6+ inches wide, 3/4" thick and 6 ft long. I still have most of it, but it is red and almost maroon, but definitely Reddish. I know that lighting and camera types and settings can change the posted photo color.

IS the bloodwood in your pen more red than it appears in the photo? Just curious about this.

My bloodwood:

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, that looks great. Well done.
much
However, I do have a question. Lately I have been seeing posts from others with Bloodwood in heir pens. All of them look much more brownish than red. I bought a bloodwood board about 15 years ago that was 6+ inches wide, 3/4" thick and 6 ft long. I still have most of it, but it is red and almost maroon, but definitely Reddish. I know that lighting and camera types and settings can change the posted photo color.

IS the bloodwood in your pen more red than it appears in the photo? Just curious about this.

My bloodwood:

Hi Hank. I agree with your observations as they are the same as mine. As mentioned, this was from a box of wood that all materials were labelled.

This Bloodwood is certainly not as "reddish" as some I have turned in the past. I also have some bloodwood spindles 2" x 2" x 10" that are waxed. I have had it for 5-6 years and it is as red as can be.
I have not turned it, as the last time (5-6 years ago) I developed a nice rash on my arms. I have been slowly giving away any of my "vibrant" Bloodwood stock.

However, the less red Bloodwood has not given me any problems.

I suspect the issue is where the "Bloodwood" has come from, as there may be different variables in play. I have confidence in the labeling of the material, but just as some Buckeye, Koa, Bird's eye Maple, etc are labelled the same/correctly, the appearance varies greatly (and I do know that this is common knowledge, especially to you ;) ).

leehljp

Member Liaison
THANKS Mark. (And I meant all caps as deep appreciation!) This has kinda worried me lately, but it does bring to mind something that I learned early on: In my first 1 to 1 1/2 years of turning, on several occasions, I either ordered or bought from a store a grab bag of different kinds of wood blanks. Most (but not all) of them were far more dullish (or original color lost) than if the wood was purchased as a bag of all red wood, or all yellow heart or all Purple Heart, etc.

They still made great pens!

magpens

@mark james

Very nice pen, Mark !!!

I like the accent "bands" .... tell me .... is there a thin black on one side of the white ? . If not, do you know a good optometrist ? ! . LOL ! ;):confused:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
@mark james

Very nice pen, Mark !!!

I like the accent "bands" .... tell me .... is there a thin black on one side of the white ? . If not, do you know a good optometrist ? ! . LOL ! ;):confused:

No need for a Doc. Your eyesight is fine (today 🤫 ). There is a very faint but present thin black line in the photo (the pen is already gone) which I can only assume is a glue line. I use 2 part epoxy.

EDIT: Why it is only on one side I'm not sure?

jttheclockman

Hank I brought this up in various threads here lately. Most bloodwood sold today is called Satine Bloodwood and it is more brownish than red. True South American bloodwood is heavy and deep red with sometimes yellow streaks running through it. This wood will turn darker but always stay red. Satine will turn brown. Years ago and I mentioned this on another thread somewhere here, Woodcraft was selling turning square out and i bought a huge bunch of various kinds and one I thought I was getting was Bloodwood because in the photo it was true red. But it turned out to be Satine bloodwood and is not what i wanted but at the price I kept them. I have boards of true bloodwood that are very heavy. Even though it cuts well it will splinter. I use for those special projects as my exotic wood dealer has never rebuilt after the fire in his place. relying on internet sites for exotic woods can be a crapshoot.

dogrunner

No need for a Doc. Your eyesight is fine (today 🤫 ). There is a very faint but present thin black line in the photo (the pen is already gone) which I can only assume is a glue line. I use 2 part epoxy.

EDIT: Why it is only on one side I'm not sure?
My guess the epoxy reacted to something in the maple if it only on that side.

WarEagle90

Well done, Mark. Very elegant but simple (in appearance, not necessarily in construction) and I like that. One question, what are the white accent bands made of?

Top Bottom