RM Curved Wall Prototype

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Made this one today . I was wasting some good hardwood practicing on this style with the Ringmaster so bought some cheap fir . Straight wall ones are a piece of cake because they can be made with one board and only require one angle setting for every ring . Then a very gentle curve can be done like I did just before this one with one board using several different cutting angles.
In order to get the amount of curve like in this one requires a much steeper learning curve. A friend was good enough to help me out via email to accomplish this . Two boards are required and every ring is a different angle and in thousands of inches. Next one will be quite a bit easier now that I have caught on how to do it but will probably still practice with soft wood like this for a few more before moving on.

This one is 8" diameter x 5.25" tall

After more practice pieces with these both in soft wood and then in hardwood , I hope to go on to vases and hollow forms and other things that can be made with the RM.

CurvedFir1.jpg

Second picture is to show the difference side by side of a one angle straight side on (on the right) and the curved one which creates a much greater challenge to accomplish.

CurvedFir2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Here is one that I cut all the rings out of after lunch today .

It just has one coat of sealer and one of lacquer at this time. Will be sanded down and a couple more applied. I think it has a more pleasing shape than the first one but then shape can be a personal matter .

SecondCurvedFir.jpg

Here is a side by side comparison with the one I made yesterday afternoon.

Comparison.jpg

W.Y.

Decided to try a vase for the first time this afternoon after having done a whole bunch of bowls already .
All went well and got the finish on after dinner. It is 6.5" at widest point and 8" tall .

I suppose this could also be classified as a hollow form ?

Hey . . . I think I am catching on how to use my ringmaster ;D

FirVase1.jpg

FirVase2.jpg

Top Bottom