RIZHENG Pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Does anyone know who sells these brand pen kits? Is there a way to see their entire lineup of kits. I tried getting on their web site but it requires a true business web site which I do not have access to. I know they are a China brand and you need to buy in bulk but interested in seeing the lineup. Any help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
You have to give them a URL, but it does t have to be a business & probably doesn't even have to be real.

A number of resellers carry some of their kits, but you can only see their full line at their web site.

Their kits are in the Bushings & Tubes App and in the library charts.

Brandy

I got some kits from them on Etsy and needed instructions. They emailed them and then gave me access to their web-site, which I hadn't asked for

BCnabe

I have purchased quite a bit from Rizheng directly over the last 5-6 years. The number of different items they have is pretty amazing and they add items regularly - lots more than just pen kits.

The quality can be spotty but the prices are good. For kits that I'm not sure about, I will order 1 or 2 to check them out and then order larger quantities if I like them. I keep a list of kits that I like and a list of kits not to buy again.

They usually offer a discount for larger quantities but you can order 1 kit if you want.

Shipping can be quite expensive. I usually spend about $200-$300 per order and the shipping will be $70-$80 of that. I usually figure about $1.50-$2.00 added to the price of a pen kit to cover the shipping. Shipping time is about 5-7 days using DHL. They have cheaper shipping options but they take 25-30 days.

One thing I have noticed is their gun metal finishes tend to be darker than other companies.

They do have an Etsy store with a limited amount of products. This would be one way to check out their quality but I wouldn't judge their overall quality based on purchasing a few kits.

I just did a quick check on their Sierra Chrome pen kit and it would be $4.21 without shipping and $6.25 per kit with shipping. In comparison, Penn State's Gatsby pen kit would be $7.95 plus shipping.

I don't know for sure but it looks to me like Woodturningz.com sells some of the Rizheng kits.

If you're wondering about specific kits, let me know and I'll offer some feedback if I've tried them.

Last edited:

walshjp17

IIRC, Smitty's pens were mostly sourced from Rizheng. Exotic Blanks bought Smitty's business several years ago and may still have some of his inventory and/or may still be buying from Rizheng.

jttheclockman

I have purchased quite a bit from Rizheng directly over the last 5-6 years. The number of different items they have is pretty amazing and they add items regularly - lots more than just pen kits.

The quality can be spotty but the prices are good. For kits that I'm not sure about, I will order 1 or 2 to check them out and then order larger quantities if I like them. I keep a list of kits that I like and a list of kits not to buy again.

They usually offer a discount for larger quantities but you can order 1 kit if you want.

Shipping can be quite expensive. I usually spend about $200-$300 per order and the shipping will be $70-$80 of that. I usually figure about $1.50-$2.00 added to the price of a pen kit to cover the shipping. Shipping time is about 5-7 days using DHL. They have cheaper shipping options but they take 25-30 days.

One thing I have noticed is their gun metal finishes tend to be darker than other companies.

They do have an Etsy store with a limited amount of products. This would be one way to check out their quality but I wouldn't judge their overall quality based on purchasing a few kits.

I just did a quick check on their Sierra Chrome pen kit and it would be $4.21 without shipping and $6.25 per kit with shipping. In comparison, Penn State's Gatsby pen kit would be $7.95 plus shipping.

I don't know for sure but it looks to me like Woodturningz.com sells some of the Rizheng kits.

If you're wondering about specific kits, let me know and I'll offer some feedback if I've tried them.
Boy they sure do have a ton of kits. Many not seen by our vendors. I ordered one kit to see how things play out and not being in a hurry because I can not get in shop till sometime in Dec I took the cheap way for shipping. If you tried their new Majestic kit I would be interested in your thoughts. I wanted to try that one too but did not. I looked back on a bunch of older threads here because this topic gets brought up many times as far as quality. It was also brought up that their kits are clones of PSI and other Tawain kits. Weather that is true or not is still out there. The Panache, sierra, kits and many more are spot on look-a-likes. Shipping can be a killer but as you did if you work the numbers the increase is not much per kit.

JohnU

Beside the quality being low, you have to pay attention to the knock offs they make using the same names as other manufacturers, because they are most likely not the same diameter in tubes and parts so you won't be able to swap parts if you damage something. Their parts mostly only work with their kits.

jttheclockman

JT, when looking did you notice if they offer the premium plating such as gold titanium, or rhodium?
I did not look at all kits because I would be there for a few weeks then. :) I looked at a kit I was interested in called their new Majestic kit and they advertise platings like gold and black titanium and chrome and black titanium only. Other kits they have platings like nickle, antique bronze, chrome, and gold, chrome and gun metal. gold and gun metal. Never say if it is 24 K gold or any other description. Never did I see Rhodium or any of the new platings being touted today. Just to give you a taste of what pricing looks like the firefighter kits we see start at $7.60 gold or chrome but looking at them they look exactly alike the Berra kits but who knows about wear and click mechanism wear. Another example is this majestic I am talking about, the new majestic is around $7. This has to send signals if you check PSI prices on their majestic. How can it be?

But what drives you nuts is we buy these kits from vendors and how do we really know what we are buying? As I said you can do a search for back threads here about this very topic and we were asking the same questions back then. Many answered and is true trust the more reliable dealers and those that stand behind their products. We need the vendors to be upfront with us. You do not mind paying a little more for a better quality product but then there is the other end of the spectrum and that is Dayacom and their pricing. As someone said then there is the matching of parts and tubes to all these kits. It can become a nightmare. This is why I try to keep my kit selection to a minimum and step out once in awhile when I see an interesting kit. I know this company will not get much of my money because I just do not trust them but this is something everyone needs to decide for themselves. I know a few people that sell nothing but these pens and do well. The field of new pen kits is expanding rapidly and it gets more and more so because of technology to be able to recreate these themed pens. PSI is a huge example of this. As they say buyer beware. I will post the new kit I did buy from them when I get one made sometime in Dec. I will evaluate it also.

BCnabe

Boy they sure do have a ton of kits. Many not seen by our vendors. I ordered one kit to see how things play out and not being in a hurry because I can not get in shop till sometime in Dec I took the cheap way for shipping. If you tried their new Majestic kit I would be interested in your thoughts. I wanted to try that one too but did not. I looked back on a bunch of older threads here because this topic gets brought up many times as far as quality. It was also brought up that their kits are clones of PSI and other Tawain kits. Weather that is true or not is still out there. The Panache, sierra, kits and many more are spot on look-a-likes. Shipping can be a killer but as you did if you work the numbers the increase is not much per kit.
I have not tried their Majestic kits.

One thing I've noticed on their fountain pen and rollerball kits that I don't like is some, not all, have fine threads where the cap screws on to the body of the pen. You have to rotate the cap 4 or 5 full rotations to get it tight. They do have some others that have coarse threads and take maybe 2 rotations. From the picture it looks like the Majestic has a more coarse thread.

Another thing I've noticed is it seems their molds (or however they are made) are not as detailed and "refined" as those from Penn State and Dayacom. For example they have a golf pen that could be a good seller but the golf ball at the top has a mis-match in the mold - the two halves of the golf ball are not aligned. I would never sell a pen the way it is.

They do seem to do a lot of knock-offs of other manufacturers and some others that to me are "gimmicky" (but Penn State has quite a few that are gimmicky also). I've typically avoided these kits.

A few that I wouldn't hesitate to buy are the Sierra, Ultra Sierra, Gallant, Cigar and Magnetic.

As noted by others, even though they might look the same as others the parts are not necessarily interchangeable. Whenever I order a new type of kit I always order the bushings. But their bushings are usually around $1.00

penicillin

Some of the pen kits sold by Rockler are made by Rizheng. Rockler sells other brands of pen kits, too.

I do not know an easy way to get a list of Rizheng kits at Rockler, but you can check them one-by-one. Go to the Rockler webiste, choose a pen kit, and expand the Specifications tab for that kit. Look at the Manufacturer Part Number for the pen kit. If it starts with "RZ", it was made by Rizheng. For an example, look at the Manhattan pen kits:

https://www.rockler.com/manhattan-ballpoint-pen-hardware-kit-gold
(Open the Specifications tab/expander. Look at the Manufacturer Part Number, which starts with "RZ")

jttheclockman

Some of the pen kits sold by Rockler are made by Rizheng. Rockler sells other brands of pen kits, too.

I do not know an easy way to get a list of Rizheng kits at Rockler, but you can check them one-by-one. Go to the Rockler webiste, choose a pen kit, and expand the Specifications tab for that kit. Look at the Manufacturer Part Number for the pen kit. If it starts with "RZ", it was made by Rizheng. For an example, look at the Manhattan pen kits:

https://www.rockler.com/manhattan-ballpoint-pen-hardware-kit-gold
(Open the Specifications tab/expander. Look at the Manufacturer Part Number, which starts with "RZ")
Wish you could do that for all vendor sites but I believe there is shady play going on in some sites.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
If we can determine for certain, Wayne & I note the manufacturer of the pen kits in the Bushings & Tube app & in the charts in the Library.

brainick

Hello,

Hope it is not a big deal to pop up an old topic.

I just bought about 20 pen kits from that supplier. It consists of 4 different types of kit. Beforehands, I bought some kits from a German supplier and Rizheng's kits were very similar with them and at one point I thought the products were same.

Here are 4 kits I bought. White one is about 4 USD and rest is about 8USD each.

IMG_7701.JPEG

The 2 on the left is known as "the Majestic" pen kit, white one is "Gentleman" and the one with cat figure is "Kitten".

They are supplied with their own nibs, I tried them and they write just fine. I don't like the rollerball refill quality, it is worse than any Schmidt 888 refill. The critical part for me is threads. A metallic squeaky sound is heard when you try to open the section part, not the cap. I don't have any experience with other Majestic pen kits from PSI or other suppliers, maybe it is normal or have a solution with a little oil. The threads between cap and body is plastic. According to the quality from the German supplier, they are giving a subtle "cheaper quality" feeling. Of course, this is my experience and maybe they last for a long time. These majestic pens are sold between 150-250$ around. And the kits at PSI are around 50$. So, for 8$, with nib, I think, they might be considered as with a good "price/performance" rate.

XanderPen

Does anyone know who sells these brand pen kits? Is there a way to see their entire lineup of kits. I tried getting on their web site but it requires a true business web site which I do not have access to. I know they are a China brand and you need to buy in bulk but interested in seeing the lineup. Any help?
They have their own store on aliexpress. They are the manufacturer for most of the kits resellers stock.

Xiamen Rizheng Industry Co., Ltd.

jttheclockman

They have their own store on aliexpress. They are the manufacturer for most of the kits resellers stock.

Xiamen Rizheng Industry Co., Ltd.
Since this posting I did buy a few kits from them but have not been able to get around to making them so I can not do a review on them. One of these days I hope to be able to get back in the shop. The price for the kits are very cheap but it is the shipping that can eat into that. If you order more kits and balance the shipping the price of kit does go up some but still very reasonable. Now quality of the kits is something else. I did get the new Majestic which is one I was interested in. It looks like a decent kit but again I will review at a later date. Others may have tried some of their kits so they can reply.

XanderPen

I
Since this posting I did buy a few kits from them but have not been able to get around to making them so I can not do a review on them. One of these days I hope to be able to get back in the shop. The price for the kits are very cheap but it is the shipping that can eat into that. If you order more kits and balance the shipping the price of kit does go up some but still very reasonable. Now quality of the kits is something else. I did get the new Majestic which is one I was interested in. It looks like a decent kit but again I will review at a later date. Others may have tried some of their kits so they can reply.
Think we all have unknowinly used their kits; when I got the pennstate and psi kits from amazon america they were identical to these. It is a small world; there are not many factories making stuff anymore.

XanderPen

The reason I dont buy from them is the MOQ for me is too high; I am tired of making slimline pens and want to try new kits, but I am not yet sure what kit, not sure if I want to make 100 of anything.. the typical 7mm kits are really not easy for me.. the 7mm fisch pen bits are not easy for me to get; if I mess up, the brass tubing is impossible for me to find here.

XanderPen

Another tip: if you are into shave brushes; a company called YAQI will sell you the hair; but the MOQ is too high for me.

jttheclockman

The reason I dont buy from them is the MOQ for me is too high; I am tired of making slimline pens and want to try new kits, but I am not yet sure what kit, not sure if I want to make 100 of anything.. the typical 7mm kits are really not easy for me.. the 7mm fisch pen bits are not easy for me to get; if I mess up, the brass tubing is impossible for me to find here.
I do not know about where you live and if they put a limit of kits but when I buy there is no limit at all. I can buy 1 kit if I like. The biggest drawback is shipping. So what I do is just figure out the order number where it makes most sense. The shipping is dependent on total kits.

fnfalguy

I've purchased quite a few kits from them. The Sierra kits that I've made have been acceptable in my eyes and they offer a wide variety of color/finish combinations. You are 100% correct with regard to shipping costs And having to balance the number of kits purchased to help reduce the cost per kit that the shipping costs add on a small order.

XanderPen

I do not know about where you live and if they put a limit of kits but when I buy there is no limit at all. I can buy 1 kit if I like. The biggest drawback is shipping. So what I do is just figure out the order number where it makes most sense. The shipping is dependent on total kits.
SE asia; you would not believe the nightmares involved with importing stuff. I can give you one example; ONE pen kit from pennstate @$10usd gets to customs here; they open it and decide its $80USD; I need to drive there and pay them $80USD.

If I order from Amazon they charge me $8 and hold $80 for up to 8 months; then I get a refund for $60. When I ask amazon for a tax receipt for the $20 they refuse. Nothing I can do.

Amazon US has basically stopped shipping here over my complaints. The local "amazons" can somehow avoid the nightmares but enforce a MOQ.

If you ever come here on vacation I will pay well for a sampler of pen kits. I really want to try NON 7mm kits as the total cost of ONE 7mm fisch bit is nearly $110!

jttheclockman

SE asia; you would not believe the nightmares involved with importing stuff. I can give you one example; ONE pen kit from pennstate @$10usd gets to customs here; they open it and decide its $80USD; I need to drive there and pay them $80USD.

If I order from Amazon they charge me $8 and hold $80 for up to 8 months; then I get a refund for $60. When I ask amazon for a tax receipt for the $20 they refuse. Nothing I can do.

Amazon US has basically stopped shipping here over my complaints. The local "amazons" can somehow avoid the nightmares but enforce a MOQ.

If you ever come here on vacation I will pay well for a sampler of pen kits. I really want to try NON 7mm kits as the total cost of ONE 7mm fisch bit is nearly $110!
sorry can not help you. good luck

fnfalguy

I may get in touch with you as I have a friend who spends a few months each year in Chiang Mai. Not sure if he can carry the kits through Thai customs.

XanderPen

I may get in touch with you as I have a friend who spends a few months each year in Chiang Mai. Not sure if he can carry the kits through Thai customs.
That would be awesome. I am just looking for a pen kit that I would like to make. I am bored with slimlines (and all variants/modifications of that). Once I find what I like: the MOQ from rizheng on taobao would be ok. I am looking to turn large diameter pens, fidget pens, etc. Ball point, rollerball.... no fountain.

it is difficult to believe; The 7mm stuff is very difficult for me. I am unsure why; if any of you know; do not post it here: PM me. It is very odd every bit set sold in this region goes from 6mm, 6.5, to 8mm

Woodchipper

XAnderPen, print the receipt request. How do you pay...PP or another way? There should be some way to confirm the tax amount. FWIW, I got into the habit to print emails for confirmation of any necessary information.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That would be awesome. I am just looking for a pen kit that I would like to make. I am bored with slimlines (and all variants/modifications of that). Once I find what I like: the MOQ from rizheng on taobao would be ok. I am looking to turn large diameter pens, fidget pens, etc. Ball point, rollerball.... no fountain.

it is difficult to believe; The 7mm stuff is very difficult for me. I am unsure why; if any of you know; do not post it here: PM me. It is very odd every bit set sold in this region goes from 6mm, 6.5, to 8mm
PERHAPS they measure the actual tube!! In the USA, tubes are referred to by the size hole you drill (a stupid way to do it). Other areas of the world may use the actual size of the tube (a much better idea!!)

XanderPen

XAnderPen, print the receipt request. How do you pay...PP or another way? There should be some way to confirm the tax amount. FWIW, I got into the habit to print emails for confirmation of any necessary information.
I have friends hand carry the 7mm Fisch bits from when they come here on holiday from the UK. I get them from axminsterUK..

XanderPen

PERHAPS they measure the actual tube!! In the USA, tubes are referred to by the size hole you drill (a stupid way to do it). Other areas of the world may use the actual size of the tube (a much better idea!!)
I have a drawer of my tool box full of my failed brass tube orders; the OD is 7mm in ID is too small for the transmissions of the slimline..

Top Bottom