Rival teams pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

khermiller

I just thought I would put out a fun post, but I live in Ohio and it is a pre determined thing that if you live in Ohio the Buckeyes are number #1 and you have to beat Michigan to have a good football team. I mean you can go 1-11 as long as the one win is against Michigan and that coach will be at the top. Lose against Michigan and it is time for a new coach, no matter how good he did. You have to be from Ohio or Michigan to understand this but I have been asked to make some Michigan Wolverine pens and I live in Ohio. I can get a blank with the Michigan logo on it, but how do pen makers throw their differences aside and make the opposite team without throwing up, closing the doors so no neighbors see, and getting through the process of making the Michigan pens. I am sure there are other rivalries out there, say like Alabama and Auburn, but nothing out there compares to the Michigan and Ohio State rivalry. I am sure other pen makers have been in similar spots, but so you just make them and say great I made them, or do you flat out refuse to make the pens from rival colleges.,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
In 2006, LOML and I were home from our overseas work for a few months, and 4 friends from Louisiana came to visit us, which happened to be during the NCAA final four. Two of them had graduated from Florida State. The Florida Gators were playing UCLA in the semi-finals. One lady started screaming for UCLA to beat Florida. I looked at her and said, You are from the state of Florida and you are pulling for UCLA? She replied in a no-debate growl : "You don't understand, Florida State fans DON"T like Florida, Period! ANY team is better to FSU than UF. The enemy of my enemy is my friend! Go UCLA!"

I didn't argue with her!

BTW, there was a thread last week that dealt with copyright logos and names.

KenB259

I am from Michigan, you got the rivalry correct but you are just rooting for the wrong team. šŸ˜‚. I live in Spartan country and the Spartan Wolverine rivalry is almost as bad. They both are anti Buckeyes though šŸ˜

montmill

The funny thing is all these teams have players from all across the US and some even from outside the US. Nothing local about any D1 sports team. Not to mention professional sports. I guess I'm an old fuddy duddy but I just can't get all that excited about athletes from Florida playing for Wisconsin and me thinking their my team.

Fine Engineer

I just thought I would put out a fun post, but I live in Ohio and it is a pre determined thing that if you live in Ohio the Buckeyes are number #1 and you have to beat Michigan to have a good football team. I mean you can go 1-11 as long as the one win is against Michigan and that coach will be at the top. Lose against Michigan and it is time for a new coach, no matter how good he did. You have to be from Ohio or Michigan to understand this but I have been asked to make some Michigan Wolverine pens and I live in Ohio. I can get a blank with the Michigan logo on it, but how do pen makers throw their differences aside and make the opposite team without throwing up, closing the doors so no neighbors see, and getting through the process of making the Michigan pens. I am sure there are other rivalries out there, say like Alabama and Auburn, but nothing out there compares to the Michigan and Ohio State rivalry. I am sure other pen makers have been in similar spots, but so you just make them and say great I made them, or do you flat out refuse to make the pens from rival colleges.,
To help this remain a sports rivalry and not a personal one, I'd say make the pens, say 'I hope you like them, but I still hope Ohio wins'. You could also make equal numbers of Ohio and Michigan pens so at least it's balanced.

Especially with college sports, the real goal is to be fierce as necessary on the field, but you should still be able to have a beer with the opposing fans after the game. All the rivalry is only on the field, not before or after. If it gets too confrontational, maybe some people need to do something like this to rise above the rancor and set an example for others (as long as you are not risking life or limb for doing so).

It's funny, here in Nevada there is a big rivalry between Reno in the north, and Las Vegas in the south. They even have a canon that we fight over once a year. I graduated from Las Vegas, but have put both of my daughters through school at Reno, so whenever they play, I win regardless of which team scores more points :cool:

Anyway, with our current political climate and divisiveness, any gesture that can be made that lessens this divide is worth doing as far as I'm concerned.

Just my $0.02.

Kenny Durrant

The problem is y'all are in the wrong state. Texas has the best players so Texas teams are "Mostly" from here. What's funny is that OU talks about beating Texas teams when almost all of their roster are Texas boys. Now for the disclaimer. I barely squeaked through high school so my hats off to anyone that went to any college for any amount of time. I do like the camaraderie that goes with the different teams. My son and a big chunk of my money went to A&M do I have a special tie to the Aggies.

If you are a true Buckeyes fan, you CANNOT make anything for that team up north. Absolute heresy....

Anyway, lets come back to the real world. Rivalries are all fun and games in the end. Make the pens if ordered for rival teams. Maybe make on for a "house divided" with both on there. Business is business, make what is ordered so long as it doesn't violate you personal beliefs.

Kenny Durrant

I tried to find some pictures when I posted earlier but couldn't find them at the time and had to give up. Of coarse it bothered me not being able to find them so I looked until I did. I thought I had a picture of just the Michigan and Ohio State but these are the only ones I found. Since I located them I thought I'd go ahead and post them now.

Attachments

• 3A87ACFA-9493-45B0-B580-1B06744A6FA5.jpeg
    3A87ACFA-9493-45B0-B580-1B06744A6FA5.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 979C6C19-17D2-4420-973E-600F6608B9E3.jpeg
    979C6C19-17D2-4420-973E-600F6608B9E3.jpeg
    485.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 04319F72-618E-4896-BCE0-08E72311371B.jpeg
    04319F72-618E-4896-BCE0-08E72311371B.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 57

PatrickR

First - are you going to make money on the pens? Then of course, make them!
having been born in MI and lived in OH when Woody Hayes was coach, it is an intense rivalry to say the least.
i still remember banners "what the fork is a wolverine" etc.
Go Blue!

leehljp

Member Liaison
erFirst - are you going to make money on the pens? Then of course, make them!
having been born in MI and lived in OH when Woody Hayes was coach, it is an intense rivalry to say the least.
i still remember banners "what the fork is a wolverine" etc.
Go Blue!
There was a good discussion on this last week. Only if you pay for a license or are given permission by the specific universities. Otherwise it could be illegal. Be careful when making money off of other companies, or organizations, or institutions' intellectual property and logos. Many people are not aware that this is usually illegal. And posting photos of such here can cause problems for this forum, as well as bring unwanted attention to the poster by lawyers of the intellectual property owners.

Last edited:
Top Bottom