Rite of passage?? My tank set up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Well, seeing as how everyone has to post them when they are finished, I will post up mine. I have it "almost done" I need one fitting and the proper flex hose and it's finished.

I went very simple with this, the gauge is a combo for VAC/PSI so I don't have to seperate them. I kept the original T fitting and relief valve, but it was torn apart, cleaned and resealed so it does not leak. The hose needs to be a dishwasher hook up hose so I can get two female compression ends on the hose, not a male and female. The valve needs a reducer to fit the original port on the tank. (This was also removed and resealed with new o-rings like the other one.)

I have an airline fitting on the end of the flex hose so it can go between the air line and my vacuum pump which has an airline coupler on it. I have been told that these will work under vacuum, and it did hold 30 when I put a fitting on the gauge itself....

Inside the cover:
tank-1.jpg

New gauge fitting like a glove:
tank-2.jpg

Mock up of the hose, this will wrap around the lid when stored:
tank-4.jpg

Vacuum pump set up. (all torn down and re-sealed):
vac-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Hey, wait a minute, you're missing about $40 worth of brass hanging off the lid! Very nice build, and good idea to eliminate some of the clunkiness. Wish I'd have thought of it, mine's a little cumbersome on the top, but it looks really cool. heh [:D]

It's all Steve's fault. [:p]

SteveRussell

Hello,

Looks like a nice clean setup... [:)] It looks like it has very good ergonomics, so it should be easy to use. One complaint some have mentioned is that their Vac/Pres pot is difficult to use. Your design seems to eliminate some of the valve/gauge clutter, not to mention the savings in brass fittings. Bravo!!! [:D] (From a retired Firefighter/EMT) Take care and best wishes to you and yours!

Firefyter-emt

Thnaks guys, I wanted to stay nice and simple. I did not use the regulator which cleaned it up a lot. My plan is to run straight line presure to the tank and open the valve slowly until it's where I want it. If this seems to go to quick I can regulate the hose down where it comes out of the wall. In fact, I am seriously thinking that I am going to add the HF regulator to my shop air line system. [:D]

toolcrazy

Wow, I like the setup, a lot simpler than I've seen. I'm gonna have to modify mine like that. All I need is the hose and the pressure/vacuum gauge.

Fred

Hank, IF you decide to use the HF regulator try to get the bigger chrome one. I have been through two of the smaller mustard colored ones and they just ain't worth the time and effort. The larger chrome one is holding on still after three years. It also has a moisture separation feature that has saved my air tools.

Nice set-up on your 'pot'! [:D]

rhahnfl

I like that setup alot... very clean and uncomplicated. I've been gathering the stuff for mine but haven't been able to find a combo gauge like that. If I may be so bold as to ask where did you find yours? Thanks!!!

txbatons

Hmmmm....after reading/viewing all the recent setups, I dashed out and bought my HF pot and am waiting to get the vacuum pump. I wasn't real eager since it looked like a project similar to hand building a fighter jet! Unlike some of you handyman types, I get frustrated with things like sharpening my pencils and can't imagine the language that awaits my shop dog's ears while I attempt to get my setup going!

But this gives me hope that it doesn't have to be as difficult. Make sure you post results after the first run.

Firefyter-emt

Chris, some of the fittings were bought at the Surplus Center (online) www.surpluscenter.com

They have other gauges, but mine was $12.74 (pn: 21-1532)
The really nice valve was $9.20 (pn: 20-1486)
I bought one elbow from them, hind site would get me two @$2.00 (pn: 455-VV)

From a local Aubuchon Hardware:
I bought two 3/8 x 1/4 couplers $3.99 (pn: 642688281021)
A brass bushing $1.49 (pn: 719852129264)

The SS braided hose will be about $10.00 and I a few bucks for some misc air line fittings for the vacuum box which I had here. So all said and done, I will still have close to $40.00 in hardware, but I was worried I would knock the lid over onto the floor if I had a lot of hardware and break it.

Edit, in hindsite.. I would of bought this gauge for $3.99 (pn:21-1634-AY) I had seen it, but thought the casting was done over 60 psi.
p21-1634-AYC.jpg

stevers

Ah hah, so yours cost about as much as mine. And mine has a lot of cool looking "fighter jet" stuff on it. [8D][8D]
Mine serves the purpose I created it for. Thats all that matters to me. A person can build like me or like Lee, it's a matter of personal preference. I like the versatility my set up gives me. I don't have to switch anything, just plug into whichever side I want and go. I can isolate the gages if I choose to leave pressure in it for long periods of time. And of course, I had both of the gages before I started my design. So that played into my choice of design also.

And Karl, I'm afraid I don't offer reimbursements for dissatisfied customers. Sorry.[;)][;)]

Firefyter-emt

Yes, and just to toss another idea out there, I had thought about placing an air fitting right on the end of the tank valve. If I did that, I can cut a large part of the cost out. I could just plug the vacuum box (removed from housing) right inline on the tank that way.

This would remove the hose, compression fittings, and a few other parts of hardware. I just kind of like the pig tail for the tank. When I am done, this will be set up near a wall port for air so I can just plug the tank into the wall at my work bench.

With all that said, and I know Steve knows this, but I am not out saying that one is right and one is wrong, just placing in diffrent thoughts. Mine is based on someone elses here that set his up much the same anyway...

LEAP

Looks good Lee, I like the braided hose think I have a few lengths in the miscellaneous plumbing box. Now to find a few minutes to assemble the dang thing[:(]

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by stevers
And Karl, I'm afraid I don't offer reimbursements for dissatisfied customers. Sorry.[;)][;)]

You kidding?! Who said anything about being dissatisfied!?

*puts on fighter helmet, "Danger Zone" theme song playing...*

I feel the need...the need for SPEEEEEED! You can be my wingman anytime![8D]

Firefyter-emt

Thanks Phil, I like the ability to have the pigtail to plug the tank in with over the air hose with the weight of the hose, but I am thinking that I am going to drop the hose now. I was playing with it a bit tonight and I think that If I drop the hose I can save another $10.00 and remove more hardware. This will also allow me to add a reducer on the original fluid port on the tank and go right to the elbow, valve and air pigtail.

The only thing I dislike about doing it this way, is how long the vacuum pump is when it plugs into the tank. so I will see if I like it this way, or with the braided hose.

rhahnfl

Hey thanks... I really like the setup. I've got the pot and the pump. Just need to get it going. Guess I'll get a gauge next. I really look forward to being able to vacuum stabilize some wood. That and do my own casting. Already stockpiled a little resin and catalyst. [:D] Even had a guy at work give me a bag of shredded money, got another looking for snakeskin and I'm looking for some pinecones that will be castable.

dbriski

Here is mine. I have since cleaned up the Guage side similar to yours, But this shows how I did the Vacuume pump saving some space. I can remove the Vacuume pump at the quick connect and plug the air right in.

Just got it done this weekend.

2007108174245_Tank%20Top.jpg
<br />

Draken

How does one go about cleaning up and resealing the pressure relief valve? Mine starts to bleed off at 20 PSI no matter how I adjust it, and can't get it to hold anything overnight. Some guidance here would be appreciated, otherwise I'm tempted to just remove the sucker, and we all know how bad an idea that is. [:0]

Originally posted by Draken
<br />How does one go about cleaning up and resealing the pressure relief valve? Mine starts to bleed off at 20 PSI no matter how I adjust it, and can't get it to hold anything overnight. Some guidance here would be appreciated, otherwise I'm tempted to just remove the sucker, and we all know how bad an idea that is. [:0]

James,

I got lucky (knock wood) because I did not have bleed problems with my PRV. To make sure everything was sealed well I drew a vacuum on the pot then used thin CA on the fittings. I would look at replacing the PRV with a better one, not ditiching it.

Firefyter-emt

James, first off, the Surplus Center has one for $9.99 that is factory set at 100psi, but is adjustable down to 50psi. My tank is rated to 80 so that one should be fine. (pn: 125SS-1-100)
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007100919192472&item=432&catname=

Scott, that is almost exactly the way I am not going to set it up. I will not use their elbow, because I have the 1/4" stuff already. Now with Davids 180 flip on the vacuum pump, I now have the solution for the pump sticking out too far! Thanks!

Firefyter-emt

David, I just wanted to thnak you again and post a photo of the new set up with your suggestion. Mine fits like a glove on my set up with the reversal of the female chuck.

I love the way that works now, it's simple and I don't worry about the hose breaking it anymore! (Hmm... maybe I should powdercoat everything now that I have my gun set up! [:D]

tank-4.jpg

tank-5.jpg

tank-6.jpg

hughbie

Hey Phil!!!!!
if you got all those parts just hanging around, taking up valuable shop space and no time to put it all together, than i'm willing to offer my services. just send them to me...and i'll let you know if it works [:D][:D[;)][:D][;)][:D][;)]

LEAP

Hugh,
Its great to know there is always someone around willing to lend you a hand. I spent the last few days moving my shop. Literally moving the shop. Its now about 50 feet back and turned 90 degrees from its previous location. The worse part was re-running the electric to the new location. the ditch we dug did not line up with the entry for the wire so I had to bend 100 amp cable in a short radious pull box then stuff it up the wall through the conduit. I was by myself so there was no one on the other end to pull while I was pushing. Not an easy task. Now I just have to finish putting everything back in its proper place and I'll be ready to assemble the pot and start casting and turning. I got lucky the only casualty of the move was a pedestal fan that I forgot to tie down. I even found a few pieces of wood that came out from their hiding places during the move. Since you are so generous with your time I'll call you the next time I have a job like this[}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom