Rippin' it up!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from campzeke

campzeke

One of my other pastimes is flying Kites. I know ... I've see that look before. Not the kites we flew as kids. We fly some single line, dual line stunt kites, 4 line quads and more. Several of my kite buddies also make kites and found out I make seam rippers in addition to pens. It seams (yea that's a pun) lately everyone wants a seam ripper or 2 or 3 .... Here are a few...

The red and white one is an inch longer that a standard seam ripper and just under 3/4" diameter. The customer has arthritis in her hands and thought the larger size would be easier for her to use.

C&C welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4571.jpg
    IMG_4571.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_4599.jpg
    IMG_4599.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4600.jpg
    IMG_4600.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_4606.jpg
    IMG_4606.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 208
  • BIG kite.jpg
    BIG kite.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4093.jpg
    IMG_4093.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

Great job on the seam rippers. I'm in the middle of a project to turn 10 for a quilt store customer. Instead of going longer, mine are wider. I turned some similar to the ones you have for my wife and she (who has arthritis too) asked if I could go wider. I start with a 1.5" square blank and turn it down so final diameter varies from half an inch near the blade to over an inch at the opposite end. Took one to a quilt store and the owner picked it up, smiled, and ordered 10. Will post a pic when I've got them all finished.

Steve

lhowell

Great job on the seam rippers!! One small suggestion if I may...for the red and white ripper and other transparent type blanks, you may want to look at painting the inside of the hole you drilled in the blank. I use Testor's enamel model paints and a q-tip or sometimes my wife's nail polish (shhhhhhh don't tell her!). Painting the inside of the drilled hole in the blank will conceal the tube and hide any glue bubbles that may form between the tube and the drilled hole versus if you were to only paint the tube.
If you do do this, give the enamel a good 12-24 hours to dry before gluing the tube in place or else it may not adhere well or the paint could run all over you.

MTViper

Seam rippers for mature quilters

Finished an order of seam rippers for a quilt store near me. You'll notice they are all bigger than you can make from a pen blank. This started by a special request from SWMBO because the ones I'd made her from pen blanks were tough to use since she has some arthritis in her hands. When I showed it to the lady who owns the quilt store, she ordered 10. One of these is probably still too large for most women's hands but the rest got the blessing from my wife. So we'll see how they sell.

There are 4 from black/yellow Spectraply (think it's called yellow jacket), 3 from Mexican Redheart, and 4 from Oak.

Steve

Attachments

• Ripper Cisco 2.jpg
    Ripper Cisco 2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 221

campzeke

Finished an order of seam rippers for a quilt store near me. You'll notice they are all bigger than you can make from a pen blank. This started by a special request from SWMBO because the ones I'd made her from pen blanks were tough to use since she has some arthritis in her hands. When I showed it to the lady who owns the quilt store, she ordered 10. One of these is probably still too large for most women's hands but the rest got the blessing from my wife. So we'll see how they sell.

There are 4 from black/yellow Spectraply (think it's called yellow jacket), 3 from Mexican Redheart, and 4 from Oak.

Steve

I like 'em MT. I like the idea of a larger size. It gives us an edge over the import junk most end up with. The large red and white I made was delivered today. Can't wait to hear back to see how she likes it.

Top Bottom