Ring Holder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Hello all,

There is a nice lady retiring from my office within the next few weeks. She is very nice, and I know from her desk that she likes colorful items. Anyway, I had some scrap Rosewood, Zebra, and Purple heart around. I put together this ring holder. A little busy for my tastes, but I know that she will like it. These make nice gits and are very easy to make for anyone that might be interested. I know that I always look for other useful items to spin. These work best if you make the straight grain run vertically like I have done here. And you can cheat on the glue up and only need small peces for the side. The center needs to be a little larger for the stem.

This one has a lacquer finish that I made a little to shiny. I will likely steel wool it back a little.

ringholder1.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Very nice ring post. Your choice of colours is most interesting especially the centrepiece.
Can see why the 'nice' lady would enjoy it.[}:)]Where do you insert the batteries?

All kidding aside, it's an excellent design and very good use of scrap pieces.

-Peter-

angboy

OOhhh... you guys are bad! [}:)][}:)] (Fangar and Peter that is!) I didn't even think of that, and usually my mind doesn't miss opportunities like that...

[?] Fangar, how come it's too shiny of a finish? That's hard to believe, coming from you, and I think the finish looks great! Plus, wouldn't it be likely to get somewhat dull when she starts putting ring after ring over it? I'm thinking that could cause some scratching, depending on how heavy of a ring it is, how tight of a fit the ring is on the shaft part, etc.

How exactly do you turn something like this? It's a great idea for something different to try!

Dario

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />
Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />[}:)]Where do you insert the batteries?

-Peter-

LOL. My neighbor asked the same thing when I was making it.

Fangar

LOL...the choice of wood color didn't help divert it too [;)].

Nice project though [:)]

Fangar

Originally posted by angboy
<br />Fangar, how come it's too shiny of a finish? That's hard to believe, coming from you, and I think the finish looks great! Plus, wouldn't it be likely to get somewhat dull when she starts putting ring after ring over it? I'm thinking that could cause some scratching, depending on how heavy of a ring it is, how tight of a fit the ring is on the shaft part, etc.

How exactly do you turn something like this? It's a great idea for something different to try!

Angela,

I tend to like more of a subtle finish on furniture or household items that I turn. I just went over board. I already rubbed int back with some steel wool and a soft cloth. Looks better now. Rings vary in size, so I made this one so that my wife's ring bottoms out. She has very small hands. I will walk you through making one later. Have to run for now.

Cheers,

Fangar

angboy

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
Originally posted by Fangar
<br />
Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />[}:)]Where do you insert the batteries?

-Peter-

LOL. My neighbor asked the same thing when I was making it.

Fangar

LOL...the choice of wood color didn't help divert it too [;)].

Nice project though [:)]

Oh my gosh- you're all just bad, bad, bad! [}:)][}:)][}:)]
But sometimes bad is good... [;)][;)]

Everybody else will probably be afraid to post a picture of a ring holder now! I can't wait to hear how to make it though Fangar- it looks like something fun to try- although my list of things I'm wanting to try is getting kind of long! When you tell us how, can you be sure to tell us what size block of wood you used? Thanks!

woodwish

Nice gift, she should be happy. Made my wife one similar last Christmas out of walnut, but I did include the ring! [;)] I'm no idiot, got my new bigger lathe just a few weeks later which cost a bunch more than the ring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom