Rikon 70-220VSR?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Painfullyslow

I can pick this up for ~$350. Is this worth it?

Right now I am using a crappy penpal mini so literally anything is better than what I have, I just don't want to pick it up if its prone to having issues.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwzrd

I have two Rikons that I have had for 10-12 years. I don't remember the model numbers offhand but one is variable speed and the other in not and they are both old enough that they are the original green color. I have never had an issue with either one of them other than needing to change the belts and they both have lots of hours on them. For mini lathes, they are certainly work horses.

I think you would be happy with your purchase.

greenacres2

Running well and intact…reasonably clean, I'd go up to $450 these days. My 70-220VSR is about 5 years old and no hint of issues. Of the midis I've looked at, I think it's a great value in its class.
Shoot, the 1" tool post is not common in this sized machine, so I swap tool rests with my Robust.
Potentially a very good buy at $350, go get it. LOL
earl

Y.E.S.

Brand new the Rikon 70-220vsr was/is $800 or more depending on sales. They have discontinued this model for a different one from my understanding but this is an amazing lathe and worth all of the $350. So long as it is in working condition and have the accessories, get it.

This lathe has variable speed, 3 belt settings (which I have never changed because of variable speed controls), a 1" tool rest, and reverse. The Rikon 70-220vsr is the first lathe I bought and still have it for smaller jobs like pens and stoppers. It is a great lathe and you will like it, huge upgrade from what you have now.

Painfullyslow

Apparently this was a great deal, and it sold while I was in discussions with the owner. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks all for the advice!

Top Bottom