Rikon 70-220 VSR Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

Anyone with a Rikon VSR have this problem: As soon as I put a certain amount of pressure on the blank, the lathe just stops. I tried blowing the dust out of the speed sensor, but that didn't seem to help. I had replaced the control box under warranty once before, I'd hate to think it failed again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Where on the speed range does this happen?

The torque produced by variable speed DC motors varies with speed, and is greatly reduced at the low end of the speed range. So if this is happening at the low end of the range but not at the top end, I would be inclined to suspect that it is nothing more sinister than the inconvenient but normal characteristic of a variable speed motor.

vtgaryw

Where on the speed range does this happen?

The torque produced by variable speed DC motors varies with speed, and is greatly reduced at the low end of the speed range. So if this is happening at the low end of the range but not at the top end, I would be inclined to suspect that it is nothing more sinister than the inconvenient but normal characteristic of a variable speed motor.

Just checked it through all the ranges, it happens at any speed. Looks like a call to Rikon. Warranty is good through January at least!

Call Rikon Customer Service. Anytime I've had a problem or even just want to talk to the tech, they are there and very helpful. Your lathe should not stop unless you are exerting tremendous pressure on it!

vtgaryw

Call Rikon Customer Service. Anytime I've had a problem or even just want to talk to the tech, they are there and very helpful. Your lathe should not stop unless you are exerting tremendous pressure on it!

They're great! Only the 2nd time I've used them. Sending me out a new control box and speed sensor on them. It's their 4th generation, so they know they've had some issues. Talked to the guy who had a hand in designing it, so I'm pretty confident it should work well!

Top Bottom