Rikon 70-100 adjustment question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grpass

I just bought a used Rikon 70-100 lathe. I have to turn the wheel on the tailstock a couple of turns before the spindle starts to move. Is this normal? If not can it be adjusted? Thanks. I'm new to all this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brotherdale

Doesnt sound normal. You could take it apart. Shouldn't be too hard.
1DBDA542-F1BB-45A8-A872-782E055373E4.png

monophoto

I just bought a used Rikon 70-100 lathe. I have to turn the wheel on the tailstock a couple of turns before the spindle starts to move. Is this normal? If not can it be adjusted? Thanks. I'm new to all this.

I believe that you are actually asking about movement of the tailstock ram as the handle on the tailstock is turned, but the responses so far seem to be addressing whether the headstock spindle starts rotating when you flip the switch.

You may need to clarify your question.

1shootist

Yeah you're combining two things...the spindle ,which is the head or front of the lathe that turns/spins the thing you are working on. The tailstock wheel is at the rear which is under no mechanical power as opposed to the spindle which is.
I think you are referring to the tailstock wheel at the rear, it has a little free movement though it shouldnt be two complete wheel turns. Use the diagram above to check if anything is loose or out of character.
Report back / update here what you discover and someone should chime in to assist as now and try to help out..

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I have owned several of these lathes, and yes they all did that. I never looked for a fix as I didn't see it as a problem.

grpass

I have owned several of these lathes, and yes they all did that. I never looked for a fix as I didn't see it as a problem.
Thanks to all the responses. Tailstock is the issue. There is lag when you turn the wheel to tighten it up against your work piece. Sounds like it might be normal. Just didn't seem quite right.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Thanks to all the responses. Tailstock is the issue. There is lag when you turn the wheel to tighten it up against your work piece. Sounds like it might be normal. Just didn't seem quite right.
I actually liked that feature as I would sometimes hit the wheel accidentally and it caused no problems....LOL

Top Bottom