rikon 10inch deluxe bandsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lathe monkey

anyone have, or used this bandsaw. Looks like some nice upgrades from the old 10inch , my shop is small and I want to upgrade my little bandsaw. I have been saving up for the Rikon 14inch, but I did some research (on line) and this deluxe one has some really good features, and half the price of the 14 inch, not looking to do resaw work. (in canada not so many choices)
just looking for input.
tks
lathe monkey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I don't think you will be disappointed as long as you don't push it beyond its limits.

Dale Parrott

I purchased one about 6 months ago and use it for segmenting. It came with bench mounting holes but it's heavy enough I didn't need them. Blade changes are a snap with the quick release. I really like mine.

zig613

anyone have, or used this bandsaw. Looks like some nice upgrades from the old 10inch , my shop is small and I want to upgrade my little bandsaw. I have been saving up for the Rikon 14inch, but I did some research (on line) and this deluxe one has some really good features, and half the price of the 14 inch, not looking to do resaw work. (in canada not so many choices)
just looking for input.
tks
lathe monkey
I see you are from the OV. For local prices check Cardon Tools. They are located on Hwy 7 between Carleton Place and Perth. They carry Rikon equipment and will order in if they don't have it in stock. Another option vs. Lee Valley (Rikon) or The Tools & Equipment Store in Bells Crs. and Marks Equipment in Carp (non-Rikon options).

Wade

lathe monkey

I see you are from the OV. For local prices check Cardon Tools. They are located on Hwy 7 between Carleton Place and Perth. They carry Rikon equipment and will order in if they don't have it in stock. Another option vs. Lee Valley (Rikon) or The Tools & Equipment Store in Bells Crs. and Marks Equipment in Carp (non-Rikon options).

Wade
Yes Cardon Tools is about 1 1/2 from me and planning a visit there soon, maybe Carp as well. thank you
I was really getting serious about the 14 inch rikon, but the size and price is giving me second thoughts, then I started reading about the 10 inch, and it might do the trick. I won't be doing any re sawing , I have a buddy that can do that. All I have now for the last 5 or so years is a 9 inch saw it lacks just about everything.
thank you
lathe monkey

smik

Saw came in earlier than expected. Finished squaring it up and quite satisfied with it. Comes with .333 saw blade 8.45mm measured.

Pros - Saw blade tension release, tool holder, cutting ability, quality of build. Ran some hard maple thru didnt bog down. Resawed 4 -1/2" x 3/4 pine, but motor handled easily. I plan on doing some resawing and am looking to pick-up a 1/2 resaw blade, the stock blade cut but I had .030-040 taper.

Cons- Fence is ok still undecided. I removed two delrin or nylon pads to be able to get the lockdown handle snap in. Video online guy contacted service regarding and they sent him couple new pads shorter in height. Im content with removing them, as of yet I see no issue doing it this way. Still learning the machine. I wish they would have ground the table sides square, they are off to each other and cant be used as a reference point.

Misc- Fence in resaw position lines up with the 0 line on tape and can be used to ballpark cut width. When fence is in lower position I couldnt find a position that would line up with the 0 line

Overall I'd buy again. For my use it works I wont be using it everyday or in a production environment.

jttheclockman

Never use table sides as a reference point. Use miter slot as that point. You want to try to tune the saw to the slot. Same as you do on a tablesaw. Blades will have drift so understand this and work accordingly. Each blade will have its own amount of drift.

smik

Yes I understand, was only a wish they had ground the sides to the slot. Wanted to mention they reference the fence guide to the front face of table. This is off by .025 to one side. Shimming each end by .016 balances that edge. Knowing this will help when changing blades. A 300-400 machine I'm not expecting perfection. I expect to use the fence primarily or freehand.

jttheclockman

Yes I understand, was only a wish they had ground the sides to the slot. Wanted to mention they reference the fence guide to the front face of table. This is off by .025 to one side. Shimming each end by .016 balances that edge. Knowing this will help when changing blades. A 300-400 machine I'm not expecting perfection. I expect to use the fence primarily or freehand.
All well and good but the blade is the center point. You can easily twist a bandsaw table top and there goes the fence measurements. If you get it dialed in then lock it down as best as you can. There should be play in a fence to adjust for drift. Many people do segmenting on a bandsaw so it is possible to get it dialed in nicely. Even a bench top saw. Good luck.

Top Bottom