Rifle and powder horns!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vacca rabite

vacca rabite

I decided I wanted to hunt muzzle loader this season.

1185664_10151568832877793_489038018_n.jpg

I'm ready for muzzle loading season!

The spouts and caps are made from some pecan that was knocked off a tree in my yard in 2011. Its been sitting under my shed aging for a few years. I did not oil them, but polished them and buffed on a heavy coat of wax.

The the bungs on the primer horn are the tips of antlers that I turned and buffed. I usually make pens from antler, but always keep the unused parts in case I need them later.

The bungs on the charger horn are made from the cut end of the two horns, turned and buffed.

I made this as well:
1174617_10151553798992793_655745161_n.jpg

Its a Lyman Great Plains rifle that I bought as a kit. All the metal was rust browned / aged. I used heat and bleach to rust everything up, then washed it and gave it an oil bath.
64513_10151553802552793_443130630_n.jpg

I bought the rifle partly as an excuse to practice some carving and wood burning. Not having done this for 20 years, I think it turned out pretty well.
561862_10151553800802793_1187735697_n.jpg

Was not crazy about the kit lock so I upgraded to an L&R lock.
1157591_10151565847407793_955405998_n.jpg

Its good to have projects!

Zach

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Very nic job. You must have enjoyed putting everything together,
The meat will be sweeter when you take it with something made by your hand.

Enjoy the peace and quiet of the woods until that goes off.

juteck

Very nice! I've helped a friend with several powder horns. He does the horn work (carving and scrimshaw) and I've done the turnings for him. It all started when he asked me to make the tapered sizing plug for rounding the horn ..... His horns have always had more black than cream. The small cream spots he's had is where he scrimshaws, and he relief carves on the black. I think he'd like this one better for bigger 'canvas'.

Sataro

Very nice looking powder horns. The carving looks good. It makes that rifle stand out from the crowd like that.

PaulDoug

WORKS OF ART!!!! Both of my brothers have make the rifles and neither has fired theirs. They hang on the wall. I would like to make one but there are just some many things I'd love to make....

You really did beautiful work on both horns and rifle. I'm not sure I'd want to take them to the woods. Might put a scratch on them.

vacca rabite

Very nice! I've helped a friend with several powder horns. He does the horn work (carving and scrimshaw) and I've done the turnings for him. It all started when he asked me to make the tapered sizing plug for rounding the horn ..... His horns have always had more black than cream. The small cream spots he's had is where he scrimshaws, and he relief carves on the black. I think he'd like this one better for bigger 'canvas'.

I'd love to learn scrimshaw. My intent was to try it with thes horns, but I've never done it before and have the fear...
Need to practice a bit first.
Zach

eranox

Great work! I really like the way the butterscotch color of the horns goes with the wood you used. My black powder hobby ended before my turning began, but I may have to try my hand at one of these.

Fantastic work all around!

Fishinbo

Excellent work on those gorgeous pieces. Great detailed work on the turning the pretty horns and carving on the rifles's handle, looks really authentic.

Top Bottom