Rick Herrell's Blank Squaring Jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David350

First, let me say that I am a big fan of Rick's blank squaring jig. I found that I was going through a lot of the HSS pen mills, and would randomly chew up a blank, both wood and "acrylic". When I first started using Rick's jig, I was a little bit curious as to how I was going to be able to tell when I was close to / finished sanding the blank down to the brass tube level.

What I have noticed is that you get a distinct change in sound when you hit the brass tube. I can best describe it as all of a sudden you hear a shushhhhh sound, like you are telling someone to shush. It's a bit subtle to hear with the 7 mm kits, probably due to the fact that there is less area of the brass tube you are now sanding, but it is very apparent with the larger tubes like a cigar pen, etc. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this and uses this "end of sanding" signal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Yes, that isi when I stop sanding. I just ensure that I rotate the tube around once.

its_virgil

yep, the sound pitch goes up(I think..my wife tells me I am tone deaf) when the tube hits the disk. Never had one get too short when I pay attention. Love Rick's sanding jig.

Seems to me with all of the questions and comments about squaring the ends of pen blanks and the ways that some share how they perform this task that squaring pen blank ends is an often misunderstood task. Just my thoughts.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Sorry to sound stupid, but I just did a google search for Rich Herrells turning tools and came up empty. Can someone share his website with me so I can check it out? I've been looking for, I think, something like this. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom