Rick Herrell Dial indicator post and custom insert for Nova live center

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike

I have been thinking about trying TBC with bushings. I looked at the PSI TBC mandrel and realized I already have the Nova live center system and Rick could make me a custom insert. Rick already made me an insert to use it as a mandrel saver and it works great. He turned me an insert with a stem on it to use for TBC. Also ordered his dial indicator post that goes in the banjo. It is so easy to use. I have the mag base with the elbow and all the adjustments, but it takes time to get out and set up and adjust. This post has an adjustable stop you set so your DI is centered on the lathe CL and after that there is no adjustment other than adjusting the banjo to align the DI tip on your work.
The insert is in the headstock, it is MT2. It will of course go in the Nova live center in the tailstock. I just put it in the headstock to try the DI post. The runout on the insert barely wiggles the DI needle, just a few ten-thousandths if that. Rick does nice work.
My lathe is pushed over by my toolboxes so I can build a couple tabletops for our patio and a new cutting board.

See pics below.

Mike

20230905_170117.jpg20230905_165819.jpg20230905_165328.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

That is really nice... Does the post require a particular dial meter, or can it work with any? I have a relatively cheap one that I picked up from harbor freight...wondering if it would work.

MedWoodWorx

I have been thinking about trying TBC with bushings. I looked at the PSI TBC mandrel and realized I already have the Nova live center system and Rick could make me a custom insert. Rick already made me an insert to use it as a mandrel saver and it works great. He turned me an insert with a stem on it to use for TBC. Also ordered his dial indicator post that goes in the banjo. It is so easy to use. I have the mag base with the elbow and all the adjustments, but it takes time to get out and set up and adjust. This post has an adjustable stop you set so your DI is centered on the lathe CL and after that there is no adjustment other than adjusting the banjo to align the DI tip on your work.
The insert is in the headstock, it is MT2. It will of course go in the Nova live center in the tailstock. I just put it in the headstock to try the DI post. The runout on the insert barely wiggles the DI needle, just a few ten-thousandths if that. Rick does nice work.
My lathe is pushed over by my toolboxes so I can build a couple tabletops for our patio and a new cutting board.

See pics below.

Mike

View attachment 359892View attachment 359893View attachment 359894
Thats a great idea!! By the way how much runout is considered normal for a wood lathe?

Mike

That is really nice... Does the post require a particular dial meter, or can it work with any? I have a relatively cheap one that I picked up from harbor freight...wondering if it would work.
Mine is from HF as well. I am not a machinist, but I think all the DIs that mount on a mag base with the adjustments have a tab on the back with a 1/4" hole to mount them.

Mike

Mike

Thats a great idea!! By the way how much runout is considered normal for a wood lathe?
I really don't know. Mine is the Jet 1014. I will look up the specs this evening, full day ahead. At least for an old retired guy....
Rick makes them for any lathe banjo post size.

Here is a link to his thread on IAP:

Mike

rherrell

Your question made me curious so I measured mine. I put the DI on the inside of the 2MT hole in the spindle and I got minimal movement on a .001" DI, that's probably about 2 or 3 tenths. ( .0002"/.0003") that's less than half a thou. I would say half a thou (.0005") or less would be acceptable. In contrast, my metal lathe is less than a tenth (.0001") Adding chucks is where you get most of your runout, my tool helps you straighten that out by measuring whatever you have held in the chuck and tapping it into a manageable runout, less that .001".

Here's a video I made showing how I check for and correct runout.

When I made this video my banjo was removed from the lathe, that's why I'm using a magnetic indicator base instead of my DI post, the process is the same.

Last edited:

Mike

Your question made me curious so I measured mine. I put the DI on the inside of the 2MT hole in the spindle and I got minimal movement on a .001" DI, that's probably about 2 or 3 tenths. ( .0002"/.0003") that's less than half a thou. I would say half a thou (.0005") or less would be acceptable. In contrast, my metal lathe is less than a tenth (.0001") Adding chucks is where you get most of your runout, my tool helps you straighten that out by measuring whatever you have held in the chuck and tapping it into a manageable runout, less that .001".

Here's a video I made showing how I check for and correct runout.

When I made this video my banjo was removed from the lathe, that's why I'm using a magnetic indicator base instead of my DI post, the process is the same.

Thanks for that Rick, I have never tried that but now I will.

Mike

Top Bottom