Rhinoplastic - Kinda chippy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Just turned my first rhinoplastic blank. I was kind of surprised by how "chippy" it was. I found it very difficult to get those nice, long streams that I can get with other plastic materials. I was even using just-sharped tools and fresh carbide tips. Not sure if it was the material, or the fact that it was a little cold in the garage or what. Ultimately, everything worked out just fine. Polished up nice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

The Rhino Plastic and Inlace Acryleser can be chippy and is a more difficult material when first learning to turn it. Both finish and polish up beautifully when done.

Two ways to turn that help minimize chipping with these blanks materials are to ride the bevel of your skew, use a negative rake angle with standard carbide or use one of the negative rake carbide inserts.

Oh, and be sure to wear a face shield over your safety glasses if you do not already.

Herb G

Here's my procedures with any plastic blank.
I drill out the tube hole on the lathe using very short cuts, and let the blank cool down between drilling.
I glue the tube in using epoxy & leave it sit at least a few days.
Then, I sand off the sharp edges on a belt sander.
I use a hair dryer to heat the blank slightly once it's mounted on the mandrel.
I turn it to shape, letting it cool down here & there.

I use Hanau's (John's) tools to turn it, making sure to use a sharp edge.
Then, I sand and polish it until it's done.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi Eric,
Your profile does not say where you live, so this may be a useless comment, but RhinoPlastic is a polyresin. Polyresin is not happy when it is cold. If you are in a shop that is under 75 degrees, it is more difficult to turn than if the temp is warm.

FWIW,
Ed

EricRN

Hi Eric,
Your profile does not say where you live, so this may be a useless comment, but RhinoPlastic is a polyresin. Polyresin is not happy when it is cold. If you are in a shop that is under 75 degrees, it is more difficult to turn than if the temp is warm.

FWIW,
Ed
Im in Maryland. This likely contributed to the problem—it was about 50 out in the garage of not colder. I need to get a space heater. Good to know. I'll have to stick with other more forgiving materials until things heat up or I get some insulation I. The garage.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
At least keep your blanks in the house until you are going to work with them. A cold night can make them brittle and they won't get better until summer!!

Top Bottom