Rhinoplastic from Exotic Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

I admit to being attracted to Ed's email ads for this material and finally bought a few. I bought them because of the colors and not the price. As a new plastic I worried that the stuff would be difficult to work with. So far it ROCKS. It cut to size like butter in the bandsaw with ribbons of material. Drilling with 12.5mm and 10.5mm bits proved a surprise. I think this is the easiest plastic I've ever drilled and I've drilled a few. The Colt bits entered and exited perfectly, I mean perfectly. Check the two photos entry and exit. I do not cut oversized and then trim with a saw; I cut just over size and drill carefully. The holes look great with zero blowout. I admit this is a small sample size, but I'm sold.

Thanks Ed!

Attachments

• 6B80D6CD-D1CC-49D4-8713-4CAC0139DAD6.jpeg
    6B80D6CD-D1CC-49D4-8713-4CAC0139DAD6.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 160
  • EC1BF649-EB99-450B-9360-20ED4B725ECF.jpeg
    EC1BF649-EB99-450B-9360-20ED4B725ECF.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 161
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I've been turning Rhino blanks for several years now, and like them. They have some fantastic colors and patterns. I do find them more brittle than acrylic acetate, but not as bad as inlace acrylester. They will chip if you're too aggressive like I tend to be. They polish very well, and make fantastic looking pens.

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 139

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks for the promo, guys!!

Yes, I have been featuring Rhino Plastic each week for several months now. For the reasons given above:
It is NOT as easy to turn as alumilite, so some tool control is required, but not so much as to be frustrating!!
I think it is a GREAT material to learn on. Some of the colors do need backpainting, most are opaque enough
to handle pens with a little "meat" on them.

I made a youtube exploring backpainting in 2013, it is still relevant, and can be seen here:

DrD

I've been turning Rhino blanks for several years now, and like them. They have some fantastic colors and patterns. I do find them more brittle than acrylic acetate, but not as bad as inlace acrylester. They will chip if you're too aggressive like I tend to be. They polish very well, and make fantastic looking pens.
Do you recall the names of the blanks in these pics?

keithbyrd

I admit to being attracted to Ed's email ads for this material and finally bought a few. I bought them because of the colors and not the price. As a new plastic I worried that the stuff would be difficult to work with. So far it ROCKS. It cut to size like butter in the bandsaw with ribbons of material. Drilling with 12.5mm and 10.5mm bits proved a surprise. I think this is the easiest plastic I've ever drilled and I've drilled a few. The Colt bits entered and exited perfectly, I mean perfectly. Check the two photos entry and exit. I do not cut oversized and then trim with a saw; I cut just over size and drill carefully. The holes look great with zero blowout. I admit this is a small sample size, but I'm sold.

Thanks Ed!
My experience exactly - I have found the Rhinoplastic to be an awesome material to work with!

Top Bottom