Reviving the Indy Chapter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm driving up for the weekend to do some casting and talk about reviving this chapter with Dalecamino, Mark James, Mr Ducks, and RKimery. We have the list of emails and contacts. There are tons of stuff we will be discussing. If you have any thoughts or concerns, post away in this thread.

Kind of a short list I cam up with so far.
Venue/rotation of venues?

Bi-Montly/Quarterly meetings
Demo's
Planning committee
Possible Newsletter
vendors
show and tell

There is a host of other things i'm sure. Will be in the shop tomorrow. So if you have anything to add, feel free. We want everyone to be involved in this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I always enjoyed the meetings I went to, however I always work on Saturdays which limited me to the number of them I could attend. Few more years and I'll retire then be able to go to all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I always enjoyed the meetings I went to, however I always work on Saturdays which limited me to the number of them I could attend. Few more years and I'll retire then be able to go to all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So tell us if Sunday is better. We're taking all suggestions

SeahawkBeau

I work at woodcraft so if you would like to start up a regular meeting, that would be a good place to show off your skills. Closes at 5 on saturdays and 4 on sundays so meetings after closing would be great. I can host.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I work at woodcraft so if you would like to start up a regular meeting, that would be a good place to show off your skills. Closes at 5 on saturdays and 4 on sundays so meetings after closing would be great. I can host.

I will pm you

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Please be sure your store owner is OK with this plan!!! He may be concerned about potential theft or property damage. Not to mention liability if someone is hurt.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I took my lathe and gave a Food Coloring demo at that Woodcraft. First meeting I went to was at Woodturningz. That had to be in 08 or 09. They were pushing the machine that made spiral patterns. Forget the name. Maybe something Doctor? Kenny gave the demo on it.

My favorite meeting was one we did at Mike's house, Forget his business name. We went to his shop then to his house. We had a cookout and Chuck was the Chef. When we left me and Chuck got lost in the backwoods of Indiana. Took me 4 1/2 hours to get home!! Ended up getting pulled over by the cops and stopped in a grocery store to ask directions. Lady had no clue where we were. This was before GPS!!! That was an adventure!!

Chasper

I went to some of the first generation gatherings, I did some demos and sold some kits, blanks and tools too. There were 50+ people there for 2-3 hour sessions, big turnout.

I suggest less frequency like quarterly, and have one of the quarterly sessions be an all day event. I always got a lot out of the MPG events, but I can't find time to get away for a entire weekend anymore, too many selling shows to attend or too many pens to turn to take the time off. An all day, one day event with good demos would be easier to get to.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I went to some of the first generation gatherings, I did some demos and sold some kits, blanks and tools too. There were 50+ people there for 2-3 hour sessions, big turnout.

I suggest less frequency like quarterly, and have one of the quarterly sessions be an all day event. I always got a lot out of the MPG events, but I can't find time to get away for a entire weekend anymore, too many selling shows to attend or too many pens to turn to take the time off. An all day, one day event with good demos would be easier to get to.

Gerry, i'm gonna add you to pm group. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I took my lathe and gave a Food Coloring demo at that Woodcraft. First meeting I went to was at Woodturningz. That had to be in 08 or 09. They were pushing the machine that made spiral patterns. Forget the name. Maybe something Doctor? Kenny gave the demo on it.

My favorite meeting was one we did at Mike's house, Forget his business name. We went to his shop then to his house. We had a cookout and Chuck was the Chef. When we left me and Chuck got lost in the backwoods of Indiana. Took me 4 1/2 hours to get home!! Ended up getting pulled over by the cops and stopped in a grocery store to ask directions. Lady had no clue where we were. This was before GPS!!! That was an adventure!!

That was Kenny's Pen Wizard. And it was Dave Washburns house in the country. Then Mike of Logstolumber for the cook out. That's where we got lost.

greenacres2

That's some good thinking. I live in Indiana, but I'm about 1 1/2 hours from the Chicagoland location, and 2 1/2 hours to the north side of Indy (2:45 to the speedway). A 2 hour session in Indy is the investment of the entire day anyway--so I could sure go for longer, and it would be easier to justify in my mind. Will still do Chicagoland, as my wife's family is mostly right around there so we should be able to schedule other stuff (though the few I've made I had to get back home for something else anyway!!)
earl

epigolucky

I really enjoyed the meetings I attended in Indy, quarterly meetings would be great, I also like the idea of a longer meeting - I can better justify an all day event as well.

Let me know if I can help.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Hey guys. I'm gonna try and meet up with woodcraft guys on october 13th. It's a Saturday. If you'd like to meet up and help talk, just let me know. This should be a community group. Everyone's input is accepted!

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Looks like it may have to be the 27th. I've had a few things come up with work. Door Slammers is one of them. Bill, I will pm you later this week.

MRDucks2

Ernie has the details. As I recall the meeting is slated for January as many of the December dates were already booked. Just checked calendar. Looks like The afternoon of January 19th.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom