Revisiting the Compson click pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I had almost a love hate relationship with these at first, but have worked a couple things out with them. This is my go to pen for sitting down and actually writing, and I do journal a lot. A few thoughts from me...
  • You can't really vary the diameter much where the clip meets the barrel. Too thin and it doesn't grip the pocket or paper at all. 14mm seems about right.
  • The click mechanism seems only fair quality, but I've never had one fail so far.
  • Pressing the clip splits the wood, even when it is even with the bushing. I've found that rounding the shoulder a little works great to avoid that.
  • If you make a mistake, you are not getting this pen apart to fix it.
  • The black finish on the plunger scratches easily on the clip and looks rough after a while
  • Really easy to use, one handed operation
The purpleheart one is always on the counter for notes and such. The olivewood pen just went together today. I love the smell of olivewood.
Anybody else have experience to share or tips for these?

Attachments

• 20200415_115140.jpg
    20200415_115140.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 20200415_114650.jpg
    20200415_114650.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 20200415_130303.jpg
    20200415_130303.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 141

budnder

• Pressing the clip splits the wood

Been there, done that :)

It has a nice weight and balance to it and is one of the best "user" kits. It can be nice looking as well, so I like these a lot.

I wish the quality was a bit better - clip seems kinda rinky dink. Woudn't want to mess with the weight, though.

sorcerertd

Yeah, the clip on the olive one had a defect, so I grabbed one from another kit. I've had several lately that needed replacement parts, but PSI is closed for COVID as a non-essential business. That being said, I really need to give exoticblanks a try. Lot's of good things said about them around here.

mnerland

The Compson is one of my favorites. It's my carry pen at work. I'm a click pen guy and pretty satisfied with this one. Actually have one on my lathe tonight, to finish tomorrow.

Top Bottom