Retro Ballpoints

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DrD

DrD

As a vintage pen collector I love any kit that takes me back to the mid-20th century. Both BHW and PSI make kits that resemble the Parker Duo-Fold ball point. I just finished dabbling with the BHW kit to see if I could come closer to the Parker look. The first pen is a BHW kit modified to remove the center-band and turned using Black and Bronze Acrylic (AA24). While I was at it I turned a PSI kit - which has no center-band - using a piece of Black Ash Burl. Lastly is another BHW kit, also without using the center-band, and this time without a clip as well; this pen is in Black Acrylic !AA25) or what I call Tuxedo Black.

Still trying to figure this photography stuff out. I'm using the large Flashery light box and an iPhone 7 Pro. Anyone who can give me some tips, it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• ExecutiveAA28_1.jpg
    ExecutiveAA28_1.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 209
  • ExecutiveAA28_2.jpg
    ExecutiveAA28_2.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 197
  • ExecutiveBlackAshBurl1.jpg
    ExecutiveBlackAshBurl1.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 178
  • ExecutiveBlackAshBurl2.jpg
    ExecutiveBlackAshBurl2.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 182
  • ExecutiveBlackAshBurl3.jpg
    ExecutiveBlackAshBurl3.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 177
  • ExecutiveBlkAcrylic1.jpg
    ExecutiveBlkAcrylic1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 183
  • ExecutiveBlkAcrylic2.jpg
    ExecutiveBlkAcrylic2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 191
  • ExecutiveBlkAcrylic3.jpg
    ExecutiveBlkAcrylic3.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 198
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

I'm curious, did you back paint the black and bronze blank?
You got me, I did not. I was so focused on how to not use the coupler which also serves as the center band, that I forgot to paint the inside of the blank, and, alas, it shows. I normally paint the inside of most AA blanks, except for the black AA. I hope it doesn' detract too much.

magpens

Please ... What PSI kit name ? . I could not find either "Retro" or "Duofold".

BTW .... your photography is perfectly fine, in my opinion .... especially on the 3rd pen with the white "satin".

DrD

Please ... What PSI kit name ? . I could not find either "Retro" or "Duofold".

BTW .... your photography is perfectly fine, in my opinion .... especially on the 3rd pen with the white "satin".
Good morning Mal,

QQuake is correct, it is the Executive. P/N for the Gold (std 24k) is PKEXEC-PEN for the pen and PKEXEC-PCL for the pencil. The word Retro is actually what BHW used to call their pen. Jim H is an ol, vintage pen collector as well and he too enjoyed the style and size difference between the DuoFold fountain pen - which I think was his inspiration for the El Grande, and the DuoFold ballpoint pen.

Thanks for the kind words!

magpens

@DrD
Thanks for the info and comments. . I am not that familiar with the Executive. . Don't really care for it because of the thinness of the turned ends which is down around 0.030" after correct sizing.

Your photography is better than you give yourself credit for. . Photo'ing pens is not the easiest. . Besides, you're always in a hurry to "get it done" and get on with more interesting (and less challenging) tasks. !! šŸ˜€

Photo'ing is kind of an artsy "thing" and I prefer to do things which I can "compute" and be pretty sure of getting it right.
There are so many things about taking a pic that can throw you off, not the least of which is holding the camera steady.
Tripod ?? . What's that !!

DrD

Mal's comments about the thinness of the wall is exactly why @qquake, I think, asked me about back-painting the blank. The pics of the gold and black pen demonstrate this. If you look closely can notice two flaws in my offering: 1) the gap in the approx center of the barrel where the 2 brass tubes do not meet, and 2) the swirl marks from the gluing (twisting tubes while inserting) of the tubes into the blank.

If you carry one, I would almost guarantee you'll get questions. That one pen (style) alone has sold many addition pens of all types for me. So, for me, it's the style that I prefer in a ballpoint (followed closely by the FlatTop Double Twist or the European RoundTop Double Twist - Parkerlike and MontBlanclike), and it's a dandy marketing tool. Parker sold a version without a clip for the ladies to carry in their clutches or purses, and while I carry neither of those, I just like the clean lines.

qquake

In spite of the relatively thin body, I'm a fan of the Executive, and have made quite a few over the years. It's an inexpensive yet classy looking kit, available in many finishes. It's also available in stylus and pencil versions. One thing I like about them is that the body is longer than the Gatsby/Sierra/Monarch derivatives. Great for showing off nicer blanks. If there is any doubt whatsoever in my mind about the translucency of the blank, I will paint the hole and tube, and color the epoxy.

Attachments

• 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 056.JPG
    056.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 134
  • 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 136
  • done01.JPG
    done01.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 117
  • done06.JPG
    done06.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 137
  • 043b.JPG
    043b.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 145

DrD

In spite of the relatively thin body, I'm a fan of the Executive, and have made quite a few over the years. It's an inexpensive yet classy looking kit, available in many finishes. It's also available in stylus and pencil versions. One thing I like about them is that the body is longer than the Gatsby/Sierra/Monarch derivatives. Great for showing off nicer blanks. If there is any doubt whatsoever in my mind about the translucency of the blank, I will paint the hole and tube, and color the epoxy.
You have some very, very fine pens there sir. I am quite partial the yellow one shown in done01 and done 06, quite nice indeed.

qquake

Thank you for the compliments. I made that pen in 2016, and I don't think they make that particular blank anymore. I believe it was an acrylic acetate, and I've seen similar blanks around.

Top Bottom