Retired!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce in surrendering to the US Army famously said "From where the sun stands now, I will fight no more forever."

As of today this is my rendition: "From where the sun stands now I will work no more forever."

My kids are taking bets on how long it will take me to get so bored I decide to find a job. Unless my 401K tanks or gets taxed to death I don't think working for a paycheck is in my future.

Oh, and the kids gave me a Jet 1221 Variable Speed Midi Lathe!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

You should never get bored if you have a workshop.
Enjoy your retirement.... some say re-fire-ment....and the new lathe, Steve.

Alan

JohnU

Congratulations Steve! You may find yourself busier now only with the option to put off today what you can do tomorrow…. Just because you can. Enjoy yourself and fulfill your dreams!

sorcerertd

Congrats! As precious as time is, I am still really looking forward to getting there, too. That's a nice retirement gift! It's funny how they can give you a nice lathe and then think you're going to get bored.

Steven Carl

Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce in surrendering to the US Army famously said "From where the sun stands now, I will fight no more forever."

As of today this is my rendition: "From where the sun stands now I will work no more forever."

My kids are taking bets on how long it will take me to get so bored I decide to find a job. Unless my 401K tanks or gets taxed to death I don't think working for a paycheck is in my future.

Enjoy the retired life! I retired 12 years ago. It's great. Now I only work half time — 12 hours a day, 7 days a week— that's half time. Just got the 1021. Love it!

walshjp17

Congrats, Steve. Been doing the retirement gig since March of 2011. Absolutely no regrets. And don't worry, SWMBO & family will find ways to fuill up all the extra time you think you now have.;)

moke

I retired a year ago, almost exactly, and I can honestly say I have not missed it....even for a moment! It's awesome! Congratulations, and enjoy!

jttheclockman

Congrats on the retirement. Enjoy yourself. DO NOT GO BACK TO WORK!!!! It is not worth it. You will not fullfill anything. You did that already. Do traveling or hobbies. You, like us all are getting older fast and those years go by quickly. I have not looked back one day after I left. My body could not take the abuse any more. Happy doing whatever I want to now. You will quickly adapt.

Just a side note, I am doing some work on my house in remodeling. Just yesterday I had this notion to check the National Electrical Code to see what changes have been added since I got out and it blew my mind. I left with the 2011 code in place and they revise every 3 years so 2020 is now the one to follow and boy I am way out of touch. So many changes. :eek::eek:

TonyL

Congratulations! I am sure it is much better when one has the choice to return to work versus having to work. Enjoy all options and make sure you turn some pens :)

jecinco

Enjoy your retirement...it's hard work doing nothing all day...LOL. Retired last year, move to NC and had a home built, or should I say a 4 car garage workshop ( that will never see a car) with a kitchen a few baths and bedrooms attached. Just a warning...turning is addictive and has no cure other than more of it....have fun.

Rick_G

Enjoy your retirement, I know I am. Managed to retire at 55, 19 years ago. Haven't missed it a day. Took up woodworking after I retired, wanted something completely different. Now 90% of my woodwork is turning. Tank of gas lasts me a month and a half now instead of 2 tanks a week when I was working, love that part.

SteveJ

One week in and my wife and I have been sick for 5 days…our son came home from New York sick and shared…his lasted almost a month.

Three from the family retirement party got tested and all came back negative so maybe we dodged that bullet (I thought the "jab" was supposed to take that concern away!)

Still waiting to turn something on that new lathe.

Curly

........ (I thought the "jab" was supposed to take that concern away!).......

Popular misconception. You can still catch it and you will be contagious to others for a short time. Instead of getting very sick if you have any symptoms they will be mild and you'll get better on your own. If you do get a more severe case and are hospitalized you will recover faster. Still light years better than not getting the vaccinations.

Top Bottom