Retired florist looking at pen turning as a hobby.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Is there a Woodcraft store near you? They may have classes. Or hopefully one of our members that lives close to you can reach out and offer assistance. We may even have an IAP chapter near you.

FGarbrecht

Get ready to empty your retirement savings on equipment and supplies, its addictive. Welcome to the craft! I've learned by reading a lot and watching videos, haven't been able to find any classes near me, so everything I know is self taught, and if you are moderately handy you can probably teach yourself as well. This site has a ton of information - be sure to check out the resource section for various tutorials, and people here are very generous with their advice, so ask questions.

MTViper

Welcome from west Texas. Looks like your closest Woodcraft is in Parkersburg. Closer than my "local" Woodcraft. I didn't see a Rocker anywhere close to you. I agree with the recommendations above. It's worth your time to get a class or two under your belt from some source. Good luck with it and like FGarbrecht said, empty your savings. Enjoy

1shootist

Welcome !
Your profession has a strong craft side to it , you shouldn't have any problems diving into pen turning.
Once you decide to buy equipment ..a lathe and a set of carbide cutting tools are the only thing I would buy first. Then buy lumber at home depot /etc, rip it into pen size blanks and practice turning it round and smooth. During this time research here, you tube etc.

bsshog40

Welcome from Texas! It would be nice if you knew someone that turned or a place that has classes and info. Its a fun hobby but as others have mentioned, can be costly.

WriteON

Welcome aboard. Keep watching the videos. Get started. We learn from doing. There are no mistakes. Everyone here will support and get you going. It's more fun than you can imagine.

Welcome from Florida. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and online. Enjoy and don't be afraid to ask questions, we can all help.

dogcatcher

Question: My retirement is due to a disability. Standing is out for me. Is there a good small pen type lathe that works well for someone unable to stand

I started turning duck calls in 1964, in late 1999 I landed up in a wheelchair, with the help of a Neurosurgeon I made it to a walker and finally a cane. By mid 2000 I was back in the shop. I lowered my lathe by placing it on a desk and sitting on a bar stool. Not really sitting, more just leaning back on the seat for support. I have 2 set ups like this one in a mini lathe, a Rikon, and the other a full size old Delta. I have everything at arms length, my chucks, my tooling and supplies for sanding, sharpening, and finishing. I can start and never have to move. In my shop the tools, benches, etc. are my hand holds to get to the what I need.

Bob in SF

Welcome, Rick - I have none of your skills, but stumbled into this little floral fountain pen adventure and posted it on this Forum a while ago:

1569942382010.jpeg

Details here:

This is a fine and generous forum - amazing breadth and depth of information - enjoy!

- Bob

Top Bottom