Restoring old vise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

I have a vise that is very old. It was old when I was young, (I'm 62). I decided to restore it. I have some challenges, like bent parts etc. I found out yesterday it was made by Eclipse. And there was an Eclipse factory in my home tome. It's not a great vise, but it's my vise. I can believe it was made in my home town, and I grew up with this vise, my Dad and I, well you know...

To clean it up, paint remover got all the layers off, but the base layer (blue), was like rock. I used wire wheels on my bench grinder, drill, and dremel.

I LOVE the look of the cast iron. I want to keep it natural. I have read everything from boiled linseed oil, beeswax, glidecoat, Flood penetrol, and others. It's going to be used, but not much, so I am looking for a solution to prevent rust, and last. Opinions? Experiences?
20210125_192140[1].jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Hilly

Why not try to replicate the original factory finish? There may be someone in the area who knows what the factory used and how it was applied. Give it a new lease of life. Make a feature out of it, put it on display. Use it gently. At least, that's what I would do.

frank123

I wonder if it could be treated like a cast iron pan that gets seasoned with some vegetable oil?

A well seasoned cast iron pan is pretty rust proof.

No disrespect to @Old Hilly, but I'd get it cleaned up and use it. If it's lasted this long it's probably got a lot of good life in front of it. I sold an old Wilton vise a couple years back that my father in law had, old as dirt, but it went for $400.00 and the guy that bought it was johnny on the spot to pick it up. This vise was probably meant to last a long time.

carlmorrell

I decided to keep the cast iron color. Wanted something a little more durable than wax, since it will live in an unheated garage. My first choice would have been lacquer (there is a story there), but all the closest hardware store had was Rustoleum. I wish I or one of my friends had a shop press, I would like to have gotten the irregularities in the handle out. Now I just need some bench space for it!
IMG_3097.JPG
IMG_3098.JPG

Top Bottom