Resin or Wood for Kitchen Utensils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bope

What blanks do you use for items that may see a fair amount of water like kitchen utensils, razors etc? I have made a couple kitchen things for my wife and I always opted for a resin blank. I worry about how well a CA finished wood would hold up to use around water.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I re-turned some good quality SS cheese cutters a few years back (2017) and used Olivewood and 'Spar Urethane.' It was several heavy coats. I am fanatical to wash them after each usage and hand dry immediately. And never put into a diswasher or soak in water.

Resin would be much better. I have several razors and used resins as they go in the shower.

woodwzrd

For kitchen gadgets I only use resin or stabilized wood/resin hybrid blanks. I also tell my customers that they are hand wash and dry only.

As far as how well a CA finish will hold up, I have an Orange Agate shaving brush with a CA finish on it that is subjected to a lot of water and I have been using it for about two years and it still looks great.

BCnabe

I made a walnut ice cream scoop with a CA finish. We intentionally put it in a drawer with other utensils and have not "babied" it just so I can see how the finish holds up. We hand wash it and do not put it in the dishwasher.

After about 4 years the finish still looks great. It has some scratches but the only issue I see is where it has been dented and it looks like the CA has come loose from the wood - it looks like a bubble under the CA. I would imagine when the CA cracks in those areas and allows water in it will probably flake off but it hasn't happened yet.

I would not be afraid to use a CA finish on wood for a kitchen utensil. Especially if you were careful in how it's stored.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

In my opinion of course, any plastic blank would be far superior for use in kitchen applications. Among it's advantages are that it is essentially impervious to water and it can be wet-sanded and/or polished to a high gloss without any finish being applied.

Wood on the other hand is affected by water and typically requires some kind of finish. It is also my prefered material simply because it is natural and in my opinion looks less commercial than the plastics. The wood of choice for me would be Cocobolo which has been a premier material for high end cutlery for over 100 years. In 1924, Samuel James and Clayton Dissinger Mell published the following in "Timbers of Tropical America", Yale University Press.

Cocobolo is one of the most important woods in the cutlery trade, being extensively used for knife handles on account of its beauty of color and grain, fine texture, dense structure, ease of working, and the presence of an oily substance which not only tends to waterproof the wood and keep it in shape after manufacture, but also makes it very easy to polish . If the smooth surface is rubbed with a cloth it acquires a wax -like finish without the use of oil, wax, shellac, or filler . Prolonged or repeated immersing in soapy water has little effect on the wood except to darken its color, an important consideration in the case of kitchen and butcher knives.

Although the density and "oiliness" of Cocobolo makes it a good choice for use in wet environments, it is the unique beauty that makes it one of my all time favorite woods. Cocobolo can simply be sanded using very fine grits and buffed with no additional finish. I have sanded it down and then applied linseed oil, although it probably wasn't necessary. I suppose a shellac-oil-wax product like those sometimes used on cutting boards might also be a good top coat finish.

Good luck with your project - Dave

monophoto

Last year, friend asked me to replace the broken plastic scales on a serving fork with wood. I used canary wood for its appearance, and chose to apply multiple coats of pure Tung Oil as a finish. Tung Oil produces a finish that is attractive while also waterproof. Most importantly, it can easily be renewed with light sanding and a fresh coat of oil.

Of course I told him to NEVER put it in the dishwasher, but rather to wash it gently by hand and let it air dry.

Since then, I have reflnished my wife's collection of kitchen knives using Tung Oil.

Top Bottom