Resin Didn't Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

Over 24 hours ago, I mixed up a small batch (6 oz) of polyester resin. I cast two clear blanks, then I added some burgundy resin dye and overcast on some punky wood, along with a couple of pinecone blanks. The clear resin set up fine, so I know my resin/hardener mix was fine. But the dyed blanks are still gelatinous and gooey (technical term.)

I've never had this problem. Could I have dumped too much dye? I've never had a problem with this before. Also, it's been very humid here. Could that have had something to do with it?

Can I save it? Bake it in the toaster oven?

Thanks,

Gary

79spitfire

One of the quirks of PR is pretty much any dye added to it affects it's setting. If the dye had alcohol in it, it will take longer to set. You might speed it up by warming it up. I've had them take several days after using alcohol inks for coloring, then found out the dye was not UV resistant :mad-tongue: scratch that batch of blanks....

chartle

I've only started to do casting.

I like the alcohol dyes because I like the transparent look and that I can get them locally at my craft store pretty cheap.

I made some in 1/2" PVC and I swear it took 4 days before I could work with them. They came out of the PVC tubes after a day and were still like limp noodles.

I've since come up with a way to gently heat the tube as they set. I have a candle/coffee warmer that I use to warm my resin. I found a coffee can that sits nicely on top and fill it with hot water. I poured my blank and then put the blank into water and then covered it up with some bubble wrap.

I kept tabs on the temp with a instant read kitchen thermometer. It kept the blank at a nice 140 F and after only 2 hours I would say it was hard enough to turn.

I think I used 6 drops of MEK per oz.

Top Bottom