Resin coloring question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jeremymc98

Hey gang,

I'm starting to get into casting with alumilite and wanted to get some feedback on best ways to dye the resin. I've seen and have used the alumilite dyes but want to check out using mica powders. What are some good mica powder options, manufacturers and sources for good selection and cost?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

acc78

I've used the Alumidust from alumilite, pearl ex, and casters choice that I got off turners warehouse. Have not had a problem using any of them, think it just depends on what colors your looking for.

MrResinBlanks

Have used and have many mica powders.
Tried the pearl ex pigments and you d them to be very good but very expensive here in UK.
I recently bought the Casters choice mica pigments from Turners Warehouse and find them very comparable to pearlex but a lot easier on the pocket.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

www.mrblanks.co.uk
www.facebook.com/mrresinblanks

Jeremymc98

Thank you all for the advice and I want to add to the question.

1. Favorite colors? (Top 3)
2. Favorite casting method? Vertical? Flip cup? Etc?

acc78

Thank you all for the advice and I want to add to the question.

1. Favorite colors? (Top 3)
2. Favorite casting method? Vertical? Flip cup? Etc?

1. Emerald, sky blue, and lavender/purple
2. I like mixing 2,3,4 colors then adding them into another cup, then dumping that cup with all the colors into a mold

Last edited:

Bob in SF

Jeremy - ditto to the above recommendations, and I'm also very fond of all of the Slice of the Moon mica powders - Amazon has them.

Have fun!

- Bob

So far my favorite have been Pearl Ex, they have a great shimmer that many of my others don't quite match. They're also considerably more expensive than many I have bought. I haven't tried Caster's Choice or Slice of the Moon but after the two recommendations above I'm going to give them a go next time I need some.

Brian G

I purchased a set of the Caster's Choice. This is not a criticism of the vendors, but Caster's Choice lacks a true red in the set.

I use Pearl Ex, too. I liked trying the variety pack after purchasing with a 50% off Michaels coupon.

For Alumilite, I use the Alumilite dye to establish a base color. Then I mix in either the Caster's Choice or Pearl Ex.

For PR, I use "Castin' Craft" dye to establish a base, and either Caster's Choice or Pearl Ex.

Bob, thanks for the reference to Slice of the Moon.

PatrickR

I picked up a bunch of powder from micapowder.com during a 50% off sale and so far I like it.
I also have used transtint dies with good results.

On the powders, I wonder how many places make it? I'd guess that most brands come from the same producer but don't really know.

Dr_N

I have only ever used Pearl ex (only using PR until I get a pressure pot set up) and am very happy with it, except the price. I really like the shimmer effect, but would also like to find a good pigment for regular, non-iridescent colors.

Sylvanite

I haven't used Mixol tints in Alumilite, only the Alumilite dyes. According to the MSDS sheets, Mixol tints are "in aqueous solution", i.e. water-based. Given that moisture makes urethane resin (such as Alumilite Clear) foam, I'd be disinclined to try it.

Regards,
Eric

acc78

never tried mixol from woodcraft, they are literally about a mile and half from where I live, will have to check it out next time I am the store. Never heard of slice of moon, will have to check out thier website.

I know blicks and jerry's artama carry pearl ex, they have about 20+ colors, have both of them here locally where I live, hobby lobby carries about 6 pearl ex colors, and micheals the 3g 12 pack of colors, usually found in the jewelry section.

Anyone try indian ink with alumilite??

Last edited:

magpens

Ooops ! .... sorry for duplication. Did not notice we were at the page-bottom with your post.

Last edited:

magpens

Interesting question .... because I am also in BC and wondering how you get your Cactus Juice.

Do you buy local ? . If so, where ?

If you import, is that difficult with respect to the fact that it is a liquid and with respect to it having to be OK'd by CBSA (Canada Customs) ?

Thanks

Oh, also interested in your work with alumilite and stabilized roots. Would appreciate more info please ... do you sell ? ... send me a PM when you can.

mikepet

I would also submit that you can go to amazon and look for "mica powder" and get some good starter packs there.

For 15 bucks you can get 36 colors, each one about 5 grams which I have yet to run out of...and I've done River tables using the colorant!

It is probably not as good as pearl ex, but it seems to work fine and give pretty good sparkle and color. The key is to get very finely ground powders... you do NOT want ones that look like glitter. They are kinda cheapo looking and will tend to be too transparent.

Attachments

• Pen1.jpg
    Pen1.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Pen2.jpg
    Pen2.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 132

JohnU

It helps if you use both dyes and mica peals together. The dyes will give a nice base color while Adding pearl Ex or mica pearls to it will give a deeper color and shimmer and will give the pearl ex shimmer something to work with, showing more character, especially in a single color pour. It's hard to describe but you will see a difference.

Top Bottom