Resin Blank Differences

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bope

I am looking for pros and cons of the different resin blank materials out there. I have also been trying to figure out some of the trade names and what they are. From a pen turner's perspective why would you purchase one material over the other? Do they turn better, polish without needing a finish, visual aesthetic-depth of color? I have used a lot of RhinoPlastic mostly because it is inexpensive and polishes nicely. While I am restocking for next year I am wondering if I should give more consideration to other materials. I am talking about straight-up resin blanks not hybrids. Here is what I have found for name brands and material. Please correct any mistakes and add pros and cons to the material.

Alumilite - Epoxy, MuttBlanks makes a lot under a lot of names, lava lamp, lava explosion, color explosion, mono swirls, etc. Are these all the same Alumilite resin just different color patterns?

Acrylic Acetate - Name says it all, Seems Berea makes most of the AA blanks out there for sale. Is Kirinite also AA?

RhinoPlastic - Polyester?

Inlace Acrylester - what is this material?

its_virgil

Alimilite is a brand not a product. Alumilite makes several resins. One is an epoxy. Tbe resin used by Eugene at Muttblanks is the Alumilite Urethane resin, not the epoxy.

Inlace Acrylester is a product name. The Polyester Resin it is made from is PolyLite 32153 (there are at least 100 different formulations) manufactured by Reichhold. It does not have the same elasticity or machinability of S41 (Silmar 41)
The primary benefit of Polylite over S41, is that it is designed to be loaded to 50%-70% filler(piments and additives).

Rhino Plastic is a polyester resin.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom