Replacement 60° centre wanted.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
Good Morning,
I am looking for a replacement 60° centre for my Nova 2MT Live Center System SKU #210005 MFR #5015.
Does any one know where I can get a spare?
Thanks.
InkedNOVA-5015_LI.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Assuming that the manufacturer can't supply a replacement, I suspect that you are looking at a custom machining project. Contact Rick Herrell.

magpens

I agree with Louie.

Contact the manufacturer and ask if they can provide.

If not, then Rick Herrell might be able to make one for you.

The part that you have circled in red has the 60 degree taper on the "business end" and the other end has a much shallower taper which will have to match the internal taper in the big black part. . . I have one of those sets and that's the way mine is. . I assume yours is the same as mine.

monophoto

I just noticed how you spelled 'centre' - which then caused me to notice that you are in Oz. Rick Herrell is an option, but he's a log away away.

Alternatively, you may be able to find a local machinist.

How does the cone center attach to the live center? I assume that its threaded. In that case, you could make your own from materials you can turn on your wood lathe such as HDPE, aluminum or brass. You could try making a steel center on a wood lathe from mile steel rod stock. Drill and tap a hole in the end manually, and then mount the rod on the late and turn it using a file to shape the cone. But that would be a very slow process.

duncsuss

I believe the open end of the Nova live centre is tapered at the same angle as #2 Morse Taper, which in principle means you could take a regular MT2 dead centre (60 degree tip) and cut away from the tail end.

You'd have to measure with calipers to determine the point on the dead centre that matches the diameter of the parts that swap in and out.

rherrell

Those inserts have proprietary tapers and will be next to impossible to find. The next best thing would be to buy a regular 2mt live center, you can buy one of those cheaper than what a machinist would charge to make that little piece.

rherrell

This might be your lucky day! Your post sparked a memory and sure enough, I found this hidden away in a drawer...

IMG_9142.JPG

On mine the small diameter is about .437" and the large diameter is about .527". I have TWO, one is 1.362" long and the other one is 1.345". You're welcome to one of them, just pay shipping.

Top Bottom