Repairing a Twist pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rebn

As somebody who knows very little about pens I am attempting to fix a Twist pen. It seems the tube has come loose from barrel. I don't understand how this tube was fixed in the brass barrel, I don't see any obvious residual adhesive. I'm not sure what the best way forward is here. Any help in saving my 15 year old pen would be greatly appreciated.

pen2.jpg

pen1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

It is a version of a cigar pen. Something is not right because there is no way that tube can come out without the upper and lower or one of them black components coming loose. That is what the tube is attached to. That could be the tube off the clip assembly which is the cap portion of the upper barrel. That is what twist the mechanism on the lower barrel. Does that brass tube slide into the lower section you are holding up in the second photo? If so then that top portion needs to be replaced which is not that big of a deal. You may have twisted too hard to break it free or it just wore out over time. That is a long time to own the pen so this is possible. That top black piece needs to be punched out with a transfer punch and a new one installed. Do you know of any pen turners in your area? If so it is an easy fix for them.

Here is a copy of the install instructions and you can see the parts I am talking about to the upper right.

https://www.woodturningz.com/downloads/cigarpenandpencilinstructions.pdf

Last edited:

Rebn

It is a version of a cigar pen. Something is not right because there is no way that tube can come out without the upper and lower or one of them black components coming loose. That is what the tube is attached to. That could be the tube off the clip assembly which is the cap portion of the upper barrel. That is what twist the mechanism on the lower barrel. Does that brass tube slide into the lower section you are holding up in the second photo? If so then that top portion needs to be replaced which is not that big of a deal. You may have twisted too hard to break it free or it just wore out over time. That is a long time to own the pen so this is possible. That top black piece needs to be punched out with a transfer punch and a new one installed. Do you know of any pen turners in your area? If so it is an easy fix for them.

Here is a copy of the install instructions and you can see the parts I am talking about to the upper right.

https://www.woodturningz.com/downloads/cigarpenandpencilinstructions.pdf

Yes, the brass tube slides into the part I am holding in the second photo. My pen certainly seems to match up to the diagrams in the pdf you linked. Thank you for the information, I will investigate this further.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Yes, the brass tube slides into the part I am holding in the second photo. My pen certainly seems to match up to the diagrams in the pdf you linked. Thank you for the information, I will investigate this further.
If the brass tube is a tight fit on the twist mechanism, the silver part showing on the bottom part of the pen, than the tube is what grips the twist mechanism to expose the ink tip.
If so, the clip end will need to be removed so the tube can be pressed back in the top so it looks like the clip assembly shown in the instructions.

Rebn

If the brass tube is a tight fit on the twist mechanism, the silver part showing on the bottom part of the pen, than the tube is what grips the twist mechanism to expose the ink tip.
If so, the clip end will need to be removed so the tube can be pressed back in the top so it looks like the clip assembly shown in the instructions.

Yes, that was the solution. Fortunately I didn't need to remove the end of the clip assembly.

There are 3 parts interacting. The tube, the twist assembly, and the end clip assembly. The tube friction fits on the twist assembly and should reach the clip assembly (overlap ~1/4" friction fit) as shown by the arrow in the drawing below. The tube was not reaching the clip assembly tube because I was sliding it too far down the twist assembly shaft (see photos below). The last photo shows the correct position of the tube, the first photo shows the incorrect position of the tube. Thank you all for helping me solve this problem and learn a little on how these turned pens are constructed.

& 2022-11-09_penrepair_cigarpen.excalidraw.png

pen3.jpg

pen4.jpg

jttheclockman

First off this is a different type of cigar pen I am used to. If that is the tranny in the lower barrel it is different than what I use. But I think it still works the same. That smaller brass tube that you show that goes on the top of the cap should be permanent fixed. They either crimp them or adhere them in some way. But that is what turns the tranny. If it is not secure it will just spin within the main barrel tube. Again I believe you need to replace that top cap portion for the pen to work right. There is no friction fit. I will have to see if I can find that kit. Or if someone else knows what it is and has the instructions for it. Looks right here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom