Repair advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gprix76

I just turned a pencil in desert ironwood, and for the most part i'm happy with how it came out. At the edges of the finish, near the tip, there are some small chips in the CA glue finish. I'm wondering if it's worth it to try and repair. I figure if i take the nib off, i could put the pencil between centers and try to touch up that one small spot. What i'm really not sure of is if it stand the possibility of making matters much worse (as in me screwing it up).

I tried to capture the chips in the photos below. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

IMG_3503.JPGIMG_3504.JPGIMG_3505.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Good looking pencil. A few things might have caused it.

There might have been some glue or finish just inside the tube. That makes the tube swell a bit more than should and cause the finish to chip.

The part might have gotten cocked when you were pressing it in.

There was some finish on the end of the tube and it displaced the finish enough when seated to lift the finish from the wood.

After applying the finish it also stuck to the bushings and chipped when you separated the tube.

You can try to repair the end by removing the finish at the end and reapplying again. It may work or it may not. Wax the bushings or centre so it doesn't chip again when you separate them. You have nothing to loose and if it doesn't work out you can remove all of the finish and redo it again.

magpens

Your chances are 50/50 of improving ... removing the finish is a PITA.

It looks not bad at all (mainly because I can't see the flaws in the pics). . So I would leave it as is and try to remember the "chip avoidance" techniques spelled out by Curly for the next time.

gprix76

Thank you for the assistance. I took a stab at refinishing the tip section, without removing the entire finish. It worked out so that even I can barely see the flaw.

I will try waxing the bushing the next time to hopefully prevent it again in the future.

Top Bottom