Renaissance Polish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gdub

I purchased all my turning tools and lathe from a college student that was moving overseas to Glasgow a year or 2 ago.
He turned shaving brushes on the side so some wood and finishes came with the deal.

Renaissance polish was included and I'm curious what ya'll think about it. Do you ever use it? If so, whats your application process?
I don't see it mentioned much around here..... I'm curious

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I purchased all my turning tools and lathe from a college student that was moving overseas to Glasgow a year or 2 ago.
He turned shaving brushes on the side so some wood and finishes came with the deal.

Renaissance polish was included and I'm curious what ya'll think about it. Do you ever use it? If so, whats your application process?
I don't see it mentioned much around here..... I'm curious

Use to be the next best thing since sliced bread. I still use it and many high quality makers use it. It will add a shine and will (suppose to) protect against finger prints. But like any friction polish it does wear off. Usually used for sales to make pens sparkle and shine. Can add to metal parts so no problem there. Wipe on let sit a couple minutes and wipe with a polishing rag. never buff kit components on a buffer. You have been warned!!!:biggrin:

I use it on every pen, or knife, that I make. Like John said above, it gives a great shine to any finished product but does wear off. I apply a very small amount with a flannel rag and then immediately, within a couple of minutes anyway, buff it on a buffing wheel. Please understand though that I do not use this as my main finish, just a top coat over the finish. I'll give credit where credit is due on this as Ozturner was the one who told me about this.
Oh... and buffing on a buffing wheel John is right. If you don't know what you're doing and don't use a very light touch you can have problems. I've been using a buffing wheel for many years on my knives. So as John says, beware of your buffing wheel.

Last edited:

BKelley

I use Renaissance Wax Polish as a wax to protect the finish, but not as a finish. I'm not sure that it has any polishing qualities. As stated by others it is not permanent and will wear off just as the wax on your car has to be redone from time to time. I have even heard of it being used on firearms to protect the bluing. I would rate it AAA+ as a wax.

Ben

gdub

I use it on every pen blank - last thing I do before I take it off the lathe for assembly. - have not used on the plated parts

I assume this is after applying your preferred finish to the blank?
If so, that is what I do as well- after CA and before assembly.

Traman

I've been using the Renaissance wax for quite a while for both my shafts and cue finish with great results

Last edited:
Top Bottom