Removing Glued Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed Weingarden

I'm new to pen turning. I drilled and glued the brass tubes in a number of acrylic blanks, which are waiting to be turned. As I've been reading and watching Youtubes on various techniques, I've learned that painting the inside of the drilled acrylic blanks is a good technique to prevent the brass tube from showing through. Is there any way to de-glue and remove the tubes that I've already glued into blanks, without destroying them? They are glued with CA. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Not every tube has to be painted. The tube will not not necessarily show through. Before trying to separate them experiment with what you have. I'll drill a blank and trial fit a tube. If it's questionable it'll get painted otherwise I'll skip painting. (More crap to breath and deal with). If you have cut offs from the blanks you are working with try to determine if they really need to be painted. Insert a brass tube hold up to a light or sunlight.

KMCloonan

I would also caution that Acetone is a powerful solvent, (it's nail polish remover) and could very possibly dissolve your blank in addition to the glue.

I agree with Frank (WriteON) that not all blanks need to be painted. Mostly blanks with translucent resins or light colored resins benefit from painting. I use craft acrylic paint (no fumes) and a Q-tip to paint my tubes.

I see Edgar responded the same time as me, with the same message...

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Acetone is likely to dissolve your plastic blank. If you have a cutoff of the same blank, drop it in acetone & leave it overnight for a test before trying it on your good blanks.

If you have spare tubes, you can try drilling out the tube. Also, if you have a tight fitting drill bit for the tube, you might be able to spin it out. Hear from friction wi likely break the CA bond.

Like WriteOn said, you might be able to get by as is. If you have a small cutoff, drill a hole in it, turn it down to final size & slide a tube in to see if it shows.

jttheclockman

Works for wood blanks, but will probably dissolve plastic blanks.
Not all acrylic blanks. Just do it long enough for glue to release. Then redrill to clean glue out and use some rolled up sandpaper . Then paint. As mentioned not all blanks are transparent. CA will dissolve pretty quickly. Way before an acrylic blank of any kind will melt.

woodwzrd

I would say turn them and see what happens. If the tube starts to show and you are not happy with it just keep turning till you get to the tube then caulk it up as a lesson learned and reuse the tube in the next one. I'm sure that anyone that has turned acrylic/resin will tell you they have been there.

Like others have states, not all acrylic/resin blanks need to be painted. I usually drill mine then hold them up to the light and if there is a reasonable amount of translucency I paint them. You can also look at your bushings to gage how much material you will have left when you are finished turning. If it is pretty thin I will paint the blank as a precaution.

RunnerVince

Another option is to lean in. Rather than risk destroying your blanks, get some pen kits in brass. Of course this may not look good with the acrylics you've chosen, but it's at least something to consider.

jttheclockman

Try it on one and see how it goes before committing to all. What do you have to lose? Tubes are cheap. That is why when buying kits many times it is a good idea to order extra tubes and have them handy. Good luck.

Kenny Durrant

Before I soaked the whole blank I'd put my finger over a hole and fill the other end with acetone. I would think it should loosen up in a few minutes. Have a punch ready to help push it through if needed. When the tube is out I'd use a rat tail file to clean the hole and then paint and glue up another tube.

its_virgil

Drill the blank. Insert the tube. Square both ends. Turn the blank without gluing in the tube. Yes, you can if bushings are used. Turn close to the finished diameter. You will then know if the hole in the blank needs painting. It will if the brass tube is showing.

What color to paint? different colors will make the blank look different. I have a wooden dowel with sections painted with different colors: white, blue, black, yellow, red...you get the jest. Decide which color's effect you like better. Use that color to paint inside the blank's hole. Glue the tube and complete the turning and polishing.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

BTW: There is only one kind of acrylic. Acrylic is a type of resin and not a generic term for any and all resins.

Charlie_W

Another possibility is heat.
Take one of your knock out punches or a bolt that fits nicely inside the tube, hold it with vice grips and heat with a torch till hot. Insert into the glued tube and roll it a bit. Then try using a smaller punch to push the tube out.
Do this outside. The heated glue is very bad smelling and I'm sure not good to breathe.
Now, you can clean your tube and inside the blank.
This heat method works with CA as well as epoxy and is how you get lathe chisels out when glued into a handle or adapter sleeve.

Top Bottom