Removing CA from live and dead center?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

theHullTurn

I have been turning directly between centers when doing my CA finishes in order to avoid adhering my blank to the bushings. However, now after a few pens the CA is building up on the centers. Is there a good safe recommendation to remove it that wouldn't harm my centers? Or do you guys just leave it?

Tips appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I also soak the tips in acetone. I have a very small jar I fill just enough so the tips will be in the acetone. Let it soak for a little while then wipe off. Repeat as needed.

Curly

I have a steel bushing a little smaller than the pen tubes that I put between the two centres. Then I turn/cut the glue off with a box cutter. Takes a few moments and you are back to regular turning.

I've found a touch of wax to the bushings prevents them from becoming permanently adhered to beautiful pieces of wood that you can't replace. ;) Now before I turn I just use a tiny bit of carnuba based car wax on my finger and give the bushing a light coat. I mean TINY bit. Of particular importance is obviously the area that butts up against the wood.

Charlie_W

Mount a short 7mm tube between the centers and turning by hand scrape off with a sharp skew. If pressed for time and brave, turn the lathe on. :biggrin:

Yup, I turn(lathe Running slowly) CA off the dead and live centers. I use an old kitchen paring knife and "ride the bevel" as with a Skew. Do not introduce the knife point to the turning parts.

rd_ab_penman

Use a bit of paste wax to help eliminate CA build up on live and dead center.

Les

Attachments

• 7 - MINWAX Finishing Paste Wax.jpg
    7 - MINWAX Finishing Paste Wax.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 160

More4dan

They are. I have seen some also made for a mandrel with a 60 degree bevel to work for all size tubes. I turn my own. HDPE and Nylon rod are available from Online Metals.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom