Remove Cross mechanism

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bope

Has anyone come up with a good way to remove the cross mechanism from a pen? I have a customer asking if I can do some repairs to a pen. He significantly scratched the wood. Ideally I would like to remove the mechanism and nib so I can repair the blank without damaging the pen parts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwzrd

If it is a slimline type pen I usually go through the transmission with a small diameter (I think it is 1/8") transfer punch to tap out the nib. Then you can go through the nib end with a larger (1/4") punch to drive the transmission out.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
What woodwzrd said. I use a mesh jar lid gripper to hold the pen while I tap on the punches. It gives a good grip without marring the finish. I get them at the $ store, but they are readily available from many stores. Just be patient, it can take many whacks, but the nib & transmission will eventually push out.

1675872775984.jpeg

monophoto

Here's a different method that I read about many years ago:

Drill a 7mm end-grain hole in a scrap of hardwood. Then, make a saw cut about half-way through the block that is exactly on axis with the hole.

To use, stick the transmission through two 1/4" washers and into the hole. With the transmission and pen barrel pointing upward, gently clamp the block of wood in a bench vise such that closing the vice squeezes the block and causes the saw kerf to clamp down on the transmission. In essence, the block of wood acts as a collet to grip the transmission. Then, insert two flat blade screwdrivers into the gap between the washers on opposite sides of the transmission. Twisting the screwdrivers will force the washers apart, and that will push the barrel of the pen up and off of the transmission.

My experience is that this is a great test of the quality of slim kits. It works great on good kits. On cheap kits, it destroys the transmission.

Bope

Thanks for the info. I didn't think a punch through the transmission would be big enough to get the nib off.

Bope

With some other kits where I had to thread a small punch through the other end into a nib I have shoved some paper towel down the nib to spread out the forces a little and not have a sharp edge pushing on the nib. I might try that here also.

wouldentu2?

I use the transfer punch set from harbor freight. while holding the blank use a small punch to tap out the nib. I then push the tranny through a drill card at the 1\4" hole over a socket and t
16758886696415678047915179250810.jpg
ap out the tranny. Never damaged a blank or tranny.

Woodchipper

I have a Cross set and recall that you can send it back to Cross for no-charge repair. Might check on this. Or look at a new Cross pen and see if that is in the box.

monophoto

I have a Cross set and recall that you can send it back to Cross for no-charge repair. Might check on this. Or look at a new Cross pen and see if that is in the box.
I have sent pens back to AT Cross for repair, and found that they were both fast and very friendly/approachable throughout that process.

But I think the question here related to disassembly of Cross-style kit pens. Don't think AT Cross would be able to offer much help with that problem.

David350

I was watching the video of Ed at Exotic Blanks dissemble his slimline pen and thought one should take of their watch, especially if its an Apple watch like Ed's as that's a lot of shocks its taking as he is punching out transmission.

I use the PSI Assembly / Disassembly press and while I have the pen mounted in the press, I drill out the center of the transmission in a couple of steps with progressively larger bits. If you are replacing the transmission, there is no reason not to drill it out as I have found it makes it much easier to push the transmission out. This of course also allows you to use a larger punch to press out the nib as well...

Woodchipper

I have sent pens back to AT Cross for repair, and found that they were both fast and very friendly/approachable throughout that process.

But I think the question here related to disassembly of Cross-style kit pens. Don't think AT Cross would be able to offer much help with that problem.
Thought it was for disassembly for repair. My mistake and so early in the month. ;)

Top Bottom