Reminds me of algebra!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"O" does NOT equal "Q", so, solve for "Y".

Making a perfect fit pen to show how to assemble (next vid coming). Brass tubes seemed to go in awfully easy, but lots to do, so glue and move on.

Turned the blank, shattered from one end---recognized that the hole looked too large. Time to make another pen, so I paid attention when I grabbed the drill bit---"Y" the blank shattered----used a Q size bit instead of O!!

Hope I can save you from the same problem---it does NOT work!!

Vids coming---"how to assemble" series will be underway this week. I am starting to like the results --my GoPro camera has found an application for itself!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

Sounds like you need to watch some of your videos. And by the way, I relate, just used a 27/64 when I needed a 25/64.:biggrin:

randyrls

The first time I make a new pen, always ignore the instructions as to drill size. Use a smaller drill and check the tube fit. Step up to the next larger drill bit until you find a good slip fit. Print out and write the bit size on the instructions. I often find the best drill bit isn't the one on the instructions. Different drill bits may be used for wood versus acrylic.

Last edited:

edicehouse

"O" does NOT equal "Q", so, solve for "Y".

Making a perfect fit pen to show how to assemble (next vid coming). Brass tubes seemed to go in awfully easy, but lots to do, so glue and move on.

Turned the blank, shattered from one end---recognized that the hole looked too large. Time to make another pen, so I paid attention when I grabbed the drill bit---"Y" the blank shattered----used a Q size bit instead of O!!

Hope I can save you from the same problem---it does NOT work!!

Vids coming---"how to assemble" series will be underway this week. I am starting to like the results --my GoPro camera has found an application for itself!!

I need to print this out and put it up in my shop, so when I jack something up, I will know I am not the only one it happens to.

Sylvanite

It's my habit to hold the tube up to the tip of the drill bit (just to double-check the size) before drilling the blank. I can easily verify that the flutes are slightly wider (but not too much wider) than the diameter of the tube. I don't know how many times that has saved me from using the wrong drill bit.

I hope that helps,
Eric

hcpens

The people that make the machines and develop the programs that etch the TINY numbers\letters on the drill bit shaft have 200/200 eyesight and have never had to squint or get a magnifying glass with two flood lights just to see a partially worn off fraction or letter.

HE, HE, their time will come!

stonepecker

I can so totally relate. Even here I have to use a larger font at times to read what is posted here. :wink: At times I can read things better without my glasses. :biggrin:

Already looking to the fall and having eye surgery to fix the 'foggy' conditions that are happening. Doctor says things will be alot better.

Glad to read Ed that you are helping the rest of us to avoid the mistakes you make. Sadly, not all mistakes can be helped. We are all human and as such, will make mistakes at times. Thanks for trying. :tongue:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The people that make the machines and develop the programs that etch the TINY numbers\letters on the drill bit shaft have 200/200 eyesight and have never had to squint or get a magnifying glass with two flood lights just to see a partially worn off fraction or letter.

HE, HE, their time will come!
yea, and then they don't even have the decency to fill their etchings with white paint so they can be read, h*** I can't read them with my glasses AND a magnifier because I need contrast to see well enough.

Top Bottom