Regarding August Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

Right off I want to thank Martin and family for opening their home to our group and sharing their hospitality. For having just moved in not too ong ago, you have a beautiful and comfortable home.

Thank you Martin for sharing the information regarding watch parts pens, and the making of kitless pens. I found the information invaluable and will attempt to put it to (good???) use soon. The staiblization demo was interesting. For such a small chamber, there was an amazing amount of wood packed into it. I also learned more about the use of the Drill Doctor. I will have to go resharpen my bits again. They need it.

Once again, it was nice to see everyone again. Lots of smiling faces I have missed in the recent past. Glad to see everyone again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Yes, it was a packed filled day in the wood shop. Martin did a wonderful job in all the different areas wood stabilization, Watch parts with carbon fiber, and the many points in making kit-less pens.

I want to thank Martin and his lovely wife for opening their home to the woodturners today. The home is a wonderful transformation from the day we helped you move in.

thank you both!

There was a lot of information that different people came forward with today can you please repeat the different web addresses so people like myself could look at the web site b/c I can't remember any of them now!

thanks

darcisowers

Thank you Marty. I can't wait to try out my stabilized hackberry.

20150815_152225.jpg~320x480

20150815_151237.jpg~320x480

My girls had an exceptionally fun time with Jamie. THANK her for their art lesson too.

Jim Campbell

I always enjoy it when the group gets together. So many good friends and a lot of great advice.

Martin, you did a great job of providing a variety of material and a lot of information. You have a great setup in the garage and clearly put it to good use. You definitely got me off the fence in terms of the collets. I'd been eyeing them, but looking at how practical they are in use, I wonder why I have not bought them already. You've also opened my eyes to the broader world of fine pens. I may not be ready to go there yet, but it's certainly something to admire.

I'm sorry I couldn't stay for lunch but I thoroughly enjoyed the time I was there. Thanks for opening up the shop.

MartinPens

Thank you everyone for a great day. It got a little toasty in the garage, but we did just fine! There is always so much information that comes about in these meetings. Kind of like drinking from a fire hose. : )
I am so appreciative of this group for helping us move in two years ago and it was my pleasure to host and try to share some of the things that I'm trying to figure out.

Why not use this thread to list the many resources that we discussed? Here are a few that I wrote down. Feel free to add to the list and links:

This link helps with figuring out what size hole you need to drill for whatever tap you are using.
Guhring, Inc. - Tap-Drill

This link helps with finding the closest drill bit size for the hole - especially if it is not a common drill bit.
Drill Size Conversion Table

Here is the link for online ordering of Nitrile gloves (Thank you Cindy!)
Search results for "nitrile" in AllegroMedical.com

Here is a link for one source of dapping blocks used in bending watch pen parts. (they are expensive, so look around)
dapping block

Here is the link to the Alumilite site. Specifically the Alumilite clear resin.
Alumilite - Alumilite Clear For Wood Turning Applications #

This is the link for the dust collection filter that I will be pursuing - when I find the right one.
Selecting a Filter Style | Wynn Environmental

If you are interesting in joining us at the San Francisco Pen Show on Saturday Aug 29, here is the link for that:
SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL PEN SHOW

We also tried out the Drill Doctor (there are definitely mixed results with this sharpener) here is the latest version:
http://www.amazon.com/Drill-Doctor-DD750X-Bit-Sharpener/dp/B000BKTA00

Molds for casting. Here is one source:
PTownSubbie aka Fred Wissen pen blanks and silicone casting molds - Chesapeake, Virginia

Greg mentioned that a mold really isn't necessary. A cork of the right size and a square cardboard cutout glued to the end/center of the cork - works just as well. I don't remember the place mentioned to get corks. Anyone?

The scissors used in cutting the carbon fiber close to the tube end:
Search Amazon or Google for "curved Lexan scissors"

The Livermore business selling carbon fiber sleeves by the foot: (.50 inch)
Carbon Fiber Braided Sleeves

There was discussion about Starbond medium thin CA glue. Here is the Amazon search link:
Starbond EM-40 Medium Thin, Premium CA Glue, 16 oz.: Cyanoacrylate Adhesives: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Thank you again, everyone. Add to the list and I hope to see some turnings of the stabilized woods at the next meeting.

MartinPens

Here is the visual for one type of kitless pen making. It's not complete (nothing about making a section or how to do the cap clip) but it's a start.

You can download the .pdf or use the .jpg for reference.

Attachments

• Kitless Visual copy.pdf
    639.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Kitless-Visual.jpg
    Kitless-Visual.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 219

nava1uni

Thank you Martin and Jamie for opening your home to us for this meeting. It was great to see the house all set up. You have a very comfortable and beautiful home.
It was good as usual to see everyone and learn so much information. I have many ideas and will be doing some exploring of the various sites and how to make new pens.
It is amazing that we have been meeting every 3 months for, if I remember correctly, the past 7 years. I am thankful that everyone is willing to drive such distances to do this and that we continue to add new people over the years.
Thanks for posting the various links.

The rubber stoppers and corks can be obtained at California Labs in Sunnyvale
Science Lab Supplies

Pliers, dapping blocks, etc for RioGrande
Rio Grande jewelry making supplies, jewelry tools and jewellery supply

Metal from Nalor Steel in Hayward or Allen Steel in Redwood City

See you at the pen show. Have a good week

curtrdouglas

Thank you!

I'm glad I didn't miss this one. We had a chance to learn about lots of projects and techniques and to get a line on some really valuable resources. Thanks so much! :biggrin:

Curt

IBTurning

Martin,

:bananen_smilies068: Thank you! :bananen_smilies104:

Had a great time, thanks for all your work!

Last edited:
Top Bottom