Refillable Rollerball Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Danie Maartens

Made my second kitless pen. Like to thank all the penmakers that posted tutorials and advice on making kitless pen on this forum. Without that information being available I do not think I would have been able to make one of these.
975B4729-AE90-42CB-AE71-974610C88219.jpeg
B602C274-2C0B-4B20-A9C8-B30B9912D33E.jpeg
3B578156-BE15-4602-B87B-BDC9BE04DD98.jpeg
19EB5521-2EAB-4398-BB2D-5E8E4CE5C297.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice indeed !!! . Thanks for showing !!!

Question:

Is that a normal fountain pen ink cartridge that you would use with a fountain pen nib ?

If so, I did not know that you can use that ink with a rollerball nib.

If that is indeed the case, then I am pleasantly surprised and also inspired to try such a pen design (which I had not prev. considered).

Fred Bruche

Is that a normal fountain pen ink cartridge that you would use with a fountain pen nib ?

If so, I did not know that you can use that ink with a rollerball nib.

If that is indeed the case, then I am pleasantly surprised and also inspired to try such a pen design (which I had not prev. considered).

Mal, you can buy this piece here
And yes, they are made to use the ink cartridges for fountain pens.

Curly

They take the converters too if you have a favourite bottled ink. They are also the same size and thread as the Schmidt #5 fountain pen nib/feed/housing so your pen can convert from one to the other if you like.

magpens

@Fred Bruche , @Curly

OK, thanks guys.

I was not so concerned about the physical fit of the cartridge to the nib or about the nib/feed/housing threading.

I am a little surprised that the ink consistency is appropriate for writing with a rollerball .... that's what I was concerned about.
I thought that rollerball ink was thicker than FP ink .... that's what I was worried about .... that the FP ink would "run out" of the rollerball nib.
And thereby mess up my Sunday white shirt pocket !!!

But that must not be an issue.

Curly

Mal since it was designed for fountain pen ink Schmidt probably sized the gap around the ball for the thinner ink. As for your pocket if the pen is clipped to the pocket the nib is up and shouldn't leak. Knowing you to be the rebel that you are and put the cap down or in your pants pocket you'll have to take your chances. 🤤

magpens

Oh ? .... Do you not put the nib down in your shirt pocket ?

Sorry, but I just don't know what "clipped" has to do with this issue. . I can appreciate that cap on or off could make a difference.

Danny...The clip was bought from Beaufort Ink, style K. The clip has a place to add your own "jewel". I turned a small piece from the same blank. The clips are also available in various diameters for fitting your specific size of pen as well as various colours gold, chrome and gunmetal.

Top Bottom