Redwood Burl Cigar - Beautiful Blank from Rocky

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

I received my package of Old Growth Redwood Burl blanks from Rocky (rockb) this afternoon so I just had to turn a pen from them. It is wrapped around a Bear Tooth Woods Antique Copper Cigar kit.

I was surprised that someone hadn't grabbed the blanks up before me as they were posted on the For Sale forum for over a week. Not only are the blanks very attractive, they have quite a story behind them. Rocky's Redwood comes from near what was Falk in Humboldt County, California in the heart of redwood country. What remains of Falk is a reconstructed train barn at the end of a spooky trail through the redwood forests of Humboldt County. Falk sprang up around the Falk lumber mill in 1884 where it thrived with a population of over 400 until 1937 when the great depression forced the mill to close down. Over the next few years, the town was abandoned and it became a ghost town. The land owner, Elk River Lumber Company, burned and demolished the buildings in 1979 due to liability concerns.

It is hard to describe shear size of the massive redwood burl stumps and root balls that are found in that area - the remains of trees that were a thousand years old when they were cut down. There are pictures of some of them on Rocky's web site - really amazing stuff.

Anyhow, here are the pictures of the pen - Dave

IMG_1993 Cropped 700px.jpg

Pictures as the pen was rotated
IMG_1994 Cropped.jpg

IMG_1995 Cropped.jpg

IMG_1997 Cropped.jpg

IMG_1998 Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Dave, you've married that lovely timber to a very suitable kit resulting in a superb pen.
Thanks for the story as well.

Alan

CjG78

Dave that is a cracker!! Beautiful mate. So many eyes!!! πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘€πŸ‘πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘

jrista

Wow! That pen and that wood were just made for each other! Incredible burl, too. Stunning eyes!

The picture where the pen is resting on the stone...it almost looks like the upper half of the pen is curving from the center to the top. Based on the other pictures, I can tell that is not the case (I think its just the lighting and shading around that part of the pen in that photo), but it was a shape that originally caught my eye, and I thought it was quite intriguing. I wonder if such a shape would actually be possible, or if there wouldn't really be enough material around the tube to actually do that...

David350

Beautiful pen and hardware combination. All I can think of is that Rockwell song, "I always feel like someone's watching me" :)

Larryreitz

That is one exceptionally nice pen. Thanks for showing and I will have to be on the lookout for some redwood burl, although I think the odds are long that one that nice would be possible to come by.

egnald

That is one exceptionally nice pen. Thanks for showing and I will have to be on the lookout for some redwood burl, although I think the odds are long that one that nice would be possible to come by.
I saw that Rocky has posted another couple of sets of these redwood blanks today. - Dave

Top Bottom