Redwood burl - before pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

punkinn

Hi folks,

Remember the horseshoe pen stand I talked about? Well, it was supposed to have been done yesterday, but I didn't get the wood until the day before so I'm taking the long weekend to make and do the finish coats on it. The prototype (out of some scrap andiroba) looks like what I had in mind, so I think I'll be cutting up the burl slabs tomorrow.

I sanded the slabs and sprayed them with water to check out the grain, and decide which pieces and orientation I wanted to use (the rest will probably be pen blanks). This is not a gloat, I just thought the figure was really interesting and I wanted to share. :)

rdwd01.jpg

rdwd02.jpg

rdwd03.jpg

rdwd04.jpg

rdwd05.jpg

Some wild colors in here!
rdwd06.jpg

rdwd07.jpg

Looks like a starburst!
rdwd08.jpg

rdwd09.jpg

The end of that piece...
rdwd10.jpg

rdwd11.jpg

rdwd12.jpg

rdwd13.jpg

rdwd14.jpg

I think I'm going to be using the fat area of the pork-chop shaped piece. ;) There are some really interesting grain patterns everywhere, though and I think the compactness of the eyes, etc will make for some nice pen blanks (quite a few!).

Finished piece photos when I get it all done! Thank you for all your inspiration. :)

Nancy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Nancy, that is a gloat! I can tell a gloat when I see one! [:D][:D] Wow, that is some fine wood and if you aren't gloating you should be. I anxiously await your results with this awesome wood.

punkinn

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Nancy, that is a gloat! I can tell a gloat when I see one! [:D][:D] Wow, that is some fine wood and if you aren't gloating you should be. I anxiously await your results with this awesome wood.

But William, I already gloated this month with my Kauri stash. I don't think I'm allowed a second one... so this one can't be a gloat. [:D] hee hee At $10 a slab, I'm pretty darned happy with them.

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom