Redo after Yesterday's Ka-Boom!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

This is the Re-Do following yesterdays catastrophic tear-out. It is a modified Cigar pen in Cocobolo with Gold plating. The modification consists of eliminating the normal trim ring and center band from the upper blank so only the narrow ring from the lower blank can be seen in the middle. The modification also slims down the pen in the center which makes it a little more sleek looking. I'm sure I will make more of these in the future.

This is my spin on a procedure originally contributed to the IAP library by Dennis Cabell (soligen). However, instead of modifying the stock centerband to act as a thickness spacer on the transmission as Dennis suggests, I sliced off a short piece of a 3/8-inch tube and slit it so it would fit inside the Cigar's 10mm tube to act as a Centering Spacer.

Modification.jpg

Unfortunately this piece of Cocobolo didn't have quite the color variations running through it as the one that blew up. I've always held that Cocobolo was kind of like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. You never know what your going to get. This piece should probably have been called So-So-Bolo. :)

Regards,
Dave
IMG_3695 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3692 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3693 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3694 Cropped.jpg

Here is a comparison between a Standard Cigar pen and this Modified Centerband Version:
This also shows the difference between a Standard and Ed's Improved Fit bushing. Just look
closely at how the lower blank fits up against the center ring between the two photos.

IMG_1172 Cropped 2.jpg
IMG_3693 Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul-H

Hi Dave

Nicely done, I think your mod greatly improves on the look of the Kit pen.

Greetings from Nebraska.

This is the Re-Do following yesterdays catastrophic tear-out. It is a modified Cigar pen in Cocobolo with Gold plating. The modification consists of eliminating the normal trim ring and center band from the upper blank so only the narrow ring from the lower blank can be seen in the middle. The modification also slims down the pen in the center which makes it a little more sleek looking. I'm sure I will make more of these in the future.

This is my spin on a procedure originally contributed to the IAP library by Dennis Cabell (soligen). However, instead of modifying the stock centerband to act as a thickness spacer on the transmission as Dennis suggests, I sliced off a short piece of a 3/8-inch tube and slit it so it would fit inside the Cigar's 10mm tube to act as a Centering Spacer.

View attachment 358010

Unfortunately this piece of Cocobolo didn't have quite the color variations running through it as the one that blew up. I've always held that Cocobolo was kind of like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. You never know what your going to get. This piece should probably have been called So-So-Bolo. :)

Regards,
Dave
View attachment 358008View attachment 358005
View attachment 358006
View attachment 358007

Here is a comparison between a Standard Cigar pen and this Modified Centerband Version:
This also shows the difference between a Standard and Ed's Improved Fit bushing. Just look
closely at how the lower blank fits up against the center ring between the two photos.

View attachment 358009
View attachment 358006
Great Idea and great pen, nicely done

egnald

Love this! It really does look nice and sleek. So, the upper barrel is more or less the same configuration as a slimline?
Yes, you are spot on. The upper barrel is just like a slimline - the tube (with the spacing insert) is flush with the center end of the upper section. It simply mates flush with the centerband. - Dave

Top Bottom