Red River Gum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sorcerertd

sorcerertd

This is a gunmetal Diamond Knurl rollerball in Red River Gum (purchased in a bulk pack of mixed Australian burl blanks). I kept it simple with just the barrels and default parts. It's the first time I've used this wood and I have to say that it looks a lot nicer than I expected. The blank didn't look to have much figure, but came out pretty nicely, and with great color. The finish is GluBoost, 3 medium and 3 thin, then polished with zona and buffed with white diamond.

1-pri.jpg

cross1.jpgjour1.jpgjour2.jpgPage1.jpgPage2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Very Attractive. You made an outstanding pairing of the blank to the kit. There are so many gorgeous and unique timbers from Australia. - Dave
The funny thing is that almost all of the "unique" burls are some variety of eucalyptus. Apparently, this one is considered invasive in Africa.

1705801119549.png

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I rather like the blank - looks very nice to me. But I love wood, so this is right up my alley. Pairing with the kit is great. Nicely done! Thanks for sharing. đź‘Ť

Beautiful Pen and a nice finish, well done. Have you finished any of this Red River Gum wood without CA? Finishing it with just Aussie Oil? I have moved many of my wood finishing Pens especially the hard burl wood to just Aussie Oil and have been very happy with the finish. Occasionally I get a void and often I keep the void for character or fill the void with CA, sand smooth then use Aussie Oil for finish. Interested if you have been doing anything similar and am especially interested in how this type of wood looks with just Aussie oil. Most of the wood I have been using is Rosewood, Thuya, Malle, Alligator Juniper (Wow what a beautiful fragrant cedar aroma comes from Alligator Juniper), Maple Burl, Colrized Maple Burl. All of them have been taking to the Aussie Oil very nicely.

sorcerertd

Beautiful Pen and a nice finish, well done. Have you finished any of this Red River Gum wood without CA? Finishing it with just Aussie Oil? I have moved many of my wood finishing Pens especially the hard burl wood to just Aussie Oil and have been very happy with the finish. Occasionally I get a void and often I keep the void for character or fill the void with CA, sand smooth then use Aussie Oil for finish. Interested if you have been doing anything similar and am especially interested in how this type of wood looks with just Aussie oil. Most of the wood I have been using is Rosewood, Thuya, Malle, Alligator Juniper (Wow what a beautiful fragrant cedar aroma comes from Alligator Juniper), Maple Burl, Colrized Maple Burl. All of them have been taking to the Aussie Oil very nicely.
I have not tried just Aussie oil on the burls yet. I have used Pens Plus a fair bit lately, and find that I like it better than Aussie oil, but both are friction polishes. I have one I'll post later.

Top Bottom