Red Oak....Sierra Trivalent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

My first attempt at stabilizing gnarly, unusable timber....
This piece of Red Oak was crumbling apart, so I did what any normal person would do...spend hundreds of dollars and fix it!

Rock hard, and didn't need to finish with anything after sanding to 1000grit! I did wax it, just because I felt like it....Sorry for the substandard photo, was in a hurry....

Scott (wasn't on my 'tuit' list) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Ignoring the fact that it was crumbling apart, it looks like it was a Real Cranky piece even to begin with.
Probably always needed to be stabilized, just to keep it together.
The Result was worth the Effort.
A Great Pen Scott.
Congratulations,
Brian.

SDB777

Excellent pen! 100s of $$ must have been a chamber and vacuum?

Sure was, and a big one!

nice!! love those colors!

Thankfully I didn't have much to do with the coloring, someone else gets all that credit.

Scott, that is a very nice looking pen!

Thanks, I think I'll keep it around as it fits into one of my 'first ones' category.

Money well spent . Sell it and get $100 back .

Can't do that, but I have plenty of other chunks of 'gnarly stuff' here that I can throw in the chamber.

Very nice! Spalted red oak makes for some nice looking pens.

I was thinking the same thing....so I went searching for a couple thousand pounds of the stuff. Trailer is still full of nasty looking, gnarly, wonderful crotchy pieces! I really like the 'swirls in the grain'....

Ignoring the fact that it was crumbling apart, it looks like it was a Real Cranky piece even to begin with.
Probably always needed to be stabilized, just to keep it together.
The Result was worth the Effort.
A Great Pen Scott.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Love the description...priceless dialect differences between the countries.
Not sure if I had 'caught' this piece sooner if it would have been necessary to stabilize? Red Oak is generally a very hard timber that turns and finishes well.

Thanks, I actually had fun trying something new!

Scott (might do some more today) B

Brian G

Beautiful pen, Scott. I think you matched the hardware perfectly.

Trailer is still full of nasty looking, gnarly, wonderful crotchy pieces!

Sounds like some of my relatives! :eek:

Last edited:

watch_art

I won't thread the wood - it will get inserts. :)

019.jpg

SDB777

Thanks everyone!!

If I can ever find anymore 'free' time, I have a lot of mostly/partially finished 'things' that are on my 'get aroun tuit' list. But work and other things keep me from actually spending the required time to get them done(I'm sure everyone else has those things happening too-it's just the fast forward world we have all made for ourselves)!

Forgot the inserts Shawn, guess those make kitless a whole lot easier. It is too late to get anything done for the meeting we have coming up, but I did some spalted pecan crosscut chunks that may work....I will bring those for you.

Scott (back to my guberment job) B

BKelley

That is one beautiful pen, as for the money, not to worry, I've got the mint working 24hrs a day turning out that green stuff. Plenty of green stuff, not much nice oak.

Ben

SDB777

That is one beautiful pen, as for the money, not to worry, I've got the mint working 24hrs a day turning out that green stuff. Plenty of green stuff, not much nice oak.

Ben

Glad I have friends!!! I will send a truck by tomorrow morning...that might hold me until Christmas.........I hope!!!!!

Thanks

Scott (but its a big truck) B

Top Bottom