Red Oak Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Gary Max

Let me start off by telling you folks that SWMBO has spent the last three months working on this finish---we had a battle with tannic acid and like never got-er-done.
I have a buyer coming in from out of state next week to see this table.
The top is a Red Oak Burl slab----the hollow base is Box Elder---the white power cord is for the lighting. Base is trimmed in red oak.
Hope you enjoy because this was really fun to build.

200712301346_oburl1.jpg

200712301457_oburl2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

R2

That is a handsome piece of wood! Ilove natual things like that because they show off the surprises in store if we are lucky enough to find and take advantage of them.[8D][8D][^]
What finish did you use?

Gary Max

I had to order a marine grade polly from west marine that
was a moisture cure urethane. Getting the tannic acid out of the wood was the hard part. I finally got mad and ran a high pessure air line up to the wife shop and used my 5 hp T-30 to blow the pores dry--- I found a cleaner that was used for dewaxing wood between the two of them we finally won.
It really comes down to the fact that if you work long enough you can do just about anything.

Grizz

Banned
I'd be so afraid to try anything with that piece of wood. You did it justice. Beautiful piece!!! [:0]

Woodlvr

Gary,
How did you get that wood out of my shop without me noticing? [}:)];)
Seriously though that is beautiful. I showed the picture to a friend of mine and went nuts and wants it for his tv theater room.

Mike

Top Bottom