Red Oak Burl & Vases

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Gary Max

Here's what I am doing today--this is a whole Red Oak Burl that I hope to turn into something Super.
The second pic are a few that I am working on the finish---it takes time to get it right. Plus the cold weather slows things down also.
Hope you enjoy

2008226152324_redoakone.jpg

2008226152436_mybowls.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rhahnfl

That came out real nice Gary. What ever became of that big chunk you were turning around Christmas? I never did see the finished product. I just remember it was huge on the lathe.

Gary Max

Chris the one that's top right with the turquoise inlay---the top blew off it had to add the walnut band just to keep it together---it also have two big rotten spots in the sides that got inlays---some days I just refuse to give up---other days they end up as firewood:D

Tanner

Ah gee gary, those are freeking beautiful. I have not turned a bowl or vase yet. I did just buy a small bowl blank to give it a shot. I'm years from your skill.

Gary Max

Tim the biggest trick are your last 5 words. I have been turning for 35 years and just in the past 7 years I figured out the big trick-----many many hours on the lathe. We hope to increase our sales this year, making a living at this is a hard row to hoe.

Top Bottom