Red Nebula Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Valleyboy

Valleyboy

I've made quite a few pens in the last couple of weeks (by my usual standards at least). They were a variety of colour combinations and, out of all of them, this was probably my favourite.

Nebula acrylic with Italian red pearl acrylic accents and a Bock no6 nib.
Recycled sterling silver rings, hand cut from sheet, and a polished chrome clip which is purchased from Beaufort ink.

Cap threads are 13mm triple lead, and that's about it!

Cheers
Ash

AF9D2F2F-DDE0-4F2B-8C93-9ADEC5522D07.jpegAC3586BE-2F50-41C9-8D3E-94777C825D0F.jpegFC2DE45A-F331-4EF9-B304-7B5E5590C65E.jpegD7370B0C-09C9-4890-97AA-4C4C3991BF41.jpegFCDE6B02-2C29-481B-916B-24545859EDCD.jpegDE18E921-FF2A-445C-B2A9-2EF09EE391EC.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

Beautiful as always Ash.

I assume you 'recycle' the recycled Sterling? Relative to the cut rings, what's you estimate for the scraps? I have a jeweler's punch in a closet that might just have to be moved to a different place in the shop. In the USA, 99.99% of the silver available is recycled unless a person can prove the lineage & cannot claim "made in USA" unless the lineage of virgin can be proved.

Do you do anything to prevent Sterling from tarnishing? Sheet thickness, if you care to share? I'm torn between rolling my own sheet from pounds of scrap Sterling here or just buying and recycling.

I wish I had the patience to learn to achieve the level of 'shine' that you get.

InkyMike

Beautiful as always Ash.

I assume you 'recycle' the recycled Sterling? Relative to the cut rings, what's you estimate for the scraps? I have a jeweler's punch in a closet that might just have to be moved to a different place in the shop. In the USA, 99.99% of the silver available is recycled unless a person can prove the lineage & cannot claim "made in USA" unless the lineage of virgin can be proved.

Do you do anything to prevent Sterling from tarnishing? Sheet thickness, if you care to share? I'm torn between rolling my own sheet from pounds of scrap Sterling here or just buying and recycling.

I wish I had the patience to learn to achieve the level of 'shine' that you get.
Just out of sheer curiosity - how does one end up with pounds of scrap sterling? Jewelry making?

JamesC

I've made quite a few pens in the last couple of weeks (by my usual standards at least). They were a variety of colour combinations and, out of all of them, this was probably my favourite.

Nebula acrylic with Italian red pearl acrylic accents and a Bock no6 nib.
Recycled sterling silver rings, hand cut from sheet, and a polished chrome clip which is purchased from Beaufort ink.

Cap threads are 13mm triple lead, and that's about it!

Cheers
Ash

View attachment 349478View attachment 349479View attachment 349480View attachment 349481View attachment 349482View attachment 349483
That's fantastic! I'm curious how you handle the silver ring on the section. Do you rough cut the barrel end of the section and epoxy the silver in place before shaping the business end of the section and threading. That sure makes a nice transition between the cap threads on the barrel and a section made of a different material.
Jim

rixstix

Just out of sheer curiosity - how does one end up with pounds of scrap sterling? Jewelry making?
Yep. Before moving to SD, we made precious metal jumprings & bought sterling wire 200+ ounces at a time. Gold not quite that quantity at a time. We sent two 70+ pound boxes of silver & gold scraps to a recycling mill & recently found quite a bit that didnt make it into the box.

Valleyboy

Beautiful as always Ash.

Thanks Rick.

I only recycle a very small amount of the silver I use myself. I quite enjoy the distraction of melting and rolling it occasionally, but it's a bit too time consuming with my little setup.
So the vast majority of the sterling I use is bought and it's always 100% recycled at source. I am collecting my scraps, and always on the lookout for jewellery and cutlery etc. at auctions so I can beef up my stash a bit before sending it back to be recycled. I then get the weight value equivalent taken off the price of any silver I'm buying and I just pay for the processing costs.

I don't do anything to prevent tarnishing on the rings, and I've had my own pens for a couple of years now and the rings still look nice and bright. I do use renaissance wax on the coins though.

Cheers
Ash

Valleyboy

That's fantastic! I'm curious how you handle the silver ring on the section. Do you rough cut the barrel end of the section and epoxy the silver in place before shaping the business end of the section and threading. That sure makes a nice transition between the cap threads on the barrel and a section made of a different material.
Jim
Thanks James.

For the section I cut and thread the tenon first, then add the ring.

Cheers
Ash

Top Bottom