Red Jasper DuraClick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dcameraman

dcameraman

From a distance, it's just a red pen . . . but when you really look at it, it has depth and has so much variation! This red jasper is noticeably harder than the other jaspers that I work.

Thanks for looking!

Pen 2.jpg Pen 4.jpg Pen 1.jpg Pen 3.jpg Pen 4-closeup.jpeg Pen 2-closeup.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Good stuff! I've noticed your other work and am really impressed. I'm sure it's a LOT different than turning other "stone" (aka Tru-Stone, etc). Care to share your methods? Suspect it's not on a wood lathe.

dcameraman

Good stuff! I've noticed your other work and am really impressed. I'm sure it's a LOT different than turning other "stone" (aka Tru-Stone, etc). Care to share your methods? Suspect it's not on a wood lathe.
It is VERY different from turning Tru-Stone. The stone I'm using is harder than knife steel! One if the tests I use to determine hardness is a scratch test. First I use a penny, which usually leaves a streak of copper on the stone. Then I go to my pocket knife, which quite often leaves some metal on the stone!

I don't mind telling the general aspects . . . but I don't want to get into 'trade secrets'!

Diamond slab saw to get 1" x 1" x 4-7" pen blanks.
Diamond drills for the hole.
Diamond grinding wheels to make it round and polish it and square the ends.

It has taken me many years and trials and errors to get to the process I use now. But they sure are beautiful!

Willee

Stone ... real stone ... sir you have found yourself a nitch.
It is so hard to get wood to reveal its full spender in a photograph.
I fully realize that almost all the photos I see on this board do not truly reveal the depth and beauty of the materials.

Jsavage4

For many years I worked with lapidary equipment and polished cabachones. Loved every minute of it until it became too hard for me. That's why I took up pen turning. I doubt if many turners have any consept of the hours and skill that is required to do such magnificent work. What an inspiration!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom